Inspection Report on First Offer and Inherited Tenant

Inspection Report on First Offer and Inherited Tenant

Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 19 votes

Hi Everyone,

Inspection

I just had my inspection done for my first long term rental, it's an upper and lower duplex and here are the noteworthy items:

1. Minor water damage on the lower unit bathroom coming from the upper bathroom when the tenants get out of the shower and the water runs down.

2. Two beams in the basement have some frays across where they sealed some asbestos and the inspector said that it would need to be sealed again with a asbestos contractor.

3. Furnaces are a little older than I expected, I was thinking about 10 years old and they are actually about 17 year old, but they have been well maintained.

4. Roof has little damage but it is 18 years old and the inspector thinks it has about 5-7 years left.

5. Other minor items per usual. 

This place will cashflow about 300 per month and I have budgeted about 7000 in repairs and it would still be giving me a 15% COCR. Would you change the offer at all based on these findings? I'm leaning towards a $2,000 closing cost credit or price reduction? Does that seem reasonable?

Inherited Tenant

When I first offered to buy the duplex there was an inherited tenant living in one of the units and they were on board with staying.  A week later she told the current seller that she would be moving and she expected to move on January 7th.  We intend on closing on December 30th at the end of the year for the tax benefits.  They are on a month to month lease right now and ideally I would want the tenant cleared out and the unit cleaned by December 30th.  How would you go about negotiating that?

Thanks everyone!

Brandon

0Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Brandon V.,

    That's a tough one to give over the internet without being there. What does your agent think? What is the price point of the unit? How long was it on the market? If you do go in with changes it does allow the seller to decline and sell to someone else if they have other offers. Now if it was just on the market I may not suggest to "rock the apple cart". Now if it was on awhile and you went in strong, the time of year is right etc etc. I may go back with a credit. 

    As far as the tenant, You should receive all move in paperwork (condition of apartment when she moved in pictures/checklists) as well as full deposit so you can give it back to her when she moves out on the 7th. Odds are based on the lease, laws and her notice he won't be able to get her out earlier without a cash for keys type situation.

    Good luck and congratulations.

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    Hi Everyone,

    Here's what ended up happening for those who read:

    Since the duplex was on the market for awhile I did go with the 1,500 credit and the seller had no issues with that.  Looking back, I probably could have got more due to him wanting to sell with a tenant, and since the tenant was moving out, he would have been more motivated to sell due to lack of rental income. 

    As far as the tenant, she legally has the place until December 31st so I ended up changing the closing date from December 30 to January 15.  This way I can be sure that it will be clean, there will be no problems from the inherited tenant, and it will give me 15 days to fill the units by Feb 1st or wait until March 1st, the day of my first mortgage payment.  This also gives me a better time to fill the units since Feb, and March are a little better than January. 

    Thanks.

    Brandon

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.