Would You Buy This Deal in Southern CA

Would You Buy This Deal in Southern CA

Wholesaler · Culver City, CA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 56 votes

WOULD YOU BUY THIS DEAL?

4br/3ba SFR

1900+ sqft

Lot: 6,655 sqft

Built: 1988

Location: Palmdale, CA (Far East side, Think 50th and Ave R) - 60mi Northeast of LA

Needs $50K renovations (big ticket items - Kitchen: refinish cabinets (not replace), stone counters, tile backsplash, faucets, appliances, tile flooring, recessed lighting - Master Bath: Stone (or less expensive alternative) counters, recessed lighting, new double mirrors, double faucets, glass shower enclosure, new tub, new toilet, tile flooring, replace broken windows - Back Patio: Refresh and replace all rotted wood on patio cover; paint) -- Main level: laminate wood flooring -- Upper level: Carpet throughout) - Roof Good, Plumbing good, HW Heater may need to be replaced, HVAC will need inspection and cleaning. Most importatly, in this area, the AC works (100+ degrees in summer).

Seller owns outright - pending title search for liens and such

ARV: $250,000

Could Rent for $1800+/mo

Purchase Price Option 1: All Cash - $125,000

Purchase Price Option 2: Owner Financed - $150,000; 10% Down; Balance financed at 6%/mo for max 6 months; 6mo Balloon

Purchase Price Option 3: Owner Financed - $162,500: 0% Down; Balance financed at 6%/mo for max 6 months; 6mo Balloon

WOULD YOU BUY THIS DEAL IN ANY OF THESE SCENARIOS? If not...why?

0Reply
4 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Lancaster, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    sounds like a pretty good deal to me. 50th and R isn't too bad either. I'm sure you could find decent renters there if you were planning to hold it long term. Personally I'd try to get hard money and go with option 1, and then use delayed purchase financing to refinance once your rehab was far enough along to qualify. 

  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    10y

    Sounds okay to me however without knowing you full financial make up it is hard to give a thumbs up. Happy to assist.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Friendly Hills, CA · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    Andy sounds decent. AV can be a weird market though if you don't know it well. Also, most buyers are FHA so it will need to be seasoned.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    My take is you can spend minimum amount of update until you are ready to sell it. You do the cosmetic stuff last.  May be rent it out and put it on the market. My impression is home price increases will be slower.  

    You are unlikely to get  quality tenants for that town, unsure about that neighborhood.  Long term prospect is unknown.   I will cash out my equity in 1 year and go to a better neighborhood.

  • Wholesaler · Culver City, CA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 56 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Erik Bottema:

    Andy sounds decent. AV can be a weird market though if you don't know it well. Also, most buyers are FHA so it will need to be seasoned.

     Hey Erik, you're right about the AV being a weird market. I do know it well - since I grew up there. And I spent a good portion of early last year immersing myself in the market. Tell me more about how this property "will need to be seasoned."

  • Wholesaler · Culver City, CA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 56 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @John Mich:

    sounds like a pretty good deal to me. 50th and R isn't too bad either. I'm sure you could find decent renters there if you were planning to hold it long term. Personally I'd try to get hard money and go with option 1, and then use delayed purchase financing to refinance once your rehab was far enough along to qualify. 

     Hey John...I remember chatting with you last year sometime about potentially getting a meetup started out there. I think they are trying to start the conversation again!

    There's a good change I may have to wholesale this lead (its not a deal yet) if I get it under contract. However, my ultimate goal is to fix/flip this one. But just wanted to see what more seasoned investors thought about what I know about the property so far. 

    What do you mean by "delayed purchase financing?"

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Friendly Hills, CA · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    Hey Andy, by seasoned, I mean you most likely will want to hold 90+ days prior to putting under contract to the end buyer (fha anti flip requirement)

    If you end up wholesaling it, please let me know. I have cash and close without nonsense...

  • Rental Property Investor · Lancaster, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Hey Andy, I'm definitely interested in a meetup if one ends up happening. I'll check that old thread. 

    Delayed purchase financing is a Fannie Mae program that allows you to cash out of a property before the traditional six month waiting period you'd have with conventional refinancing. It's helpful if you're using hard money with a six month limit and want to BRRRR the place instead of flipping it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.