Hard money lender to fund your first deal?

Hard money lender to fund your first deal?

Delaware, OH · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 4 votes
Hey guys I'm wondering what you guys are thinking about using hard money to fund my first deal drop your thoughts below.
0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

New Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 99 votes
10y

18 with no money, no credit, no past REI experience and i'm assuming no steady income? I would save up over the years, build up some credit and research more and more before trying to get a loan with none of the above. I think the only way is for a friend or family member to loan you the money. Good luck though!

PS.. while doing that, you might go through another market correction which could benefit you greatly. Most parts of the country have come back and or come back strong. I'm having a hard time in CT right now with over bidders, cash buyers and nothing worth getting into. Seems to be my only option is to buy land and start new construction at this point. 

Matt

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Benton Harbor, MI · Member since 2013 · 257 posts · 140 votes
    10y

    Jordan, I think it will be tough.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    Hey Jordan...   I am curious what the typical terms would be for a hard money lender.  Thinking of using one myself.  Hope someone who has used a hard money lender or is a hard money lender replies to the post :)  

  • Delaware, OH · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Marshall Downs why do you say that?
  • Investor · Emerald Coast, FL · Member since 2013 · 45 posts · 11 votes
    10y
    I would not use hard money, you don't need to. Hard money is typically used if you're over the 4 or 10 conventional mortgage limit. You'll get a better interest rate with conventional loans and make a much better return overall.
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    It will depend on whether their is room in the deal and your personal tolerance for risk. I would talk to a few lenders and see if they would be willing to lend to you based on your experience level and cash reserves.

    We didn't use hard money on our first two deals but entertained the idea. Ultimately we wanted to get some experience under our belt first, and wanted to be sure we had the cash reserves to pay off the loan in the event things didn't go as planned.

  • Delaware, OH · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Hunter Letchman id rather do conventional but the problem is I don't have the cash to make a down payment
  • Delaware, OH · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Mo Sheikh just curious where did you find your first deal?
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    One was from direct mail to out of state owners in our farm area and the other was from a referral from a coworker at my day job.

  • Delaware, OH · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Mo Sheikh does direct mail work pretty well for you? And do you use any other sources to find leads?
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    We are still experimenting with it. We've done one flip and have been close to two more deals from direct mail, but a lot of the calls we get are tire kickers. 

    The key though is to send them out consistently. Our first 2-3 mailings we barely got any response. It wasn't until the 4th and 5th mailing to the same list that we started receiving a decent response. We've spent about $2K total on mailings over the past 6 months and closed one flip for $26K so it has been worth it so far!

  • Investor · Emerald Coast, FL · Member since 2013 · 45 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Jordan Lisenbee could you borrow from a 401k?  That is a way to get a down payment at a low interest rate and then borrow the rest conventionally. If you don't have the cash for a conventional loan you definitely don't want to do hard money - you could leverage yourself into financial hardship if the deal goes bad.

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Hunter Letchman Another great reason to use a HML is if the property won't pass traditional banks' inspection criteria...

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    I've used HML on my first 6 flips. started off at (75% PP 100% Rehab 3pts 15%) Now im at 80/100 2pts 11%.

  • Delaware, OH · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Hunter Letchman I'm 18 so I don't have a 401k established I don't believe
  • Delaware, OH · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Elliot Lamson after the HML did you just refinance into a conventional loan?
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    they are all flips so no need to. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Jordan Lisenbee Let's start here.  Is the property you are buying financeable or is it a rehab project?

  • New Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 99 votes
    10y

    18 with no money, no credit, no past REI experience and i'm assuming no steady income? I would save up over the years, build up some credit and research more and more before trying to get a loan with none of the above. I think the only way is for a friend or family member to loan you the money. Good luck though!

    PS.. while doing that, you might go through another market correction which could benefit you greatly. Most parts of the country have come back and or come back strong. I'm having a hard time in CT right now with over bidders, cash buyers and nothing worth getting into. Seems to be my only option is to buy land and start new construction at this point. 

    Matt

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Was going to say exactly the same thing as Matt.

    Stop listening to all these glorified posts about no money deals until you have a large amount of deals and years of experience under your belt.

  • Rental Property Investor · Savage, MN · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 61 votes
    10y

    Hi @Jordan Lisenbee, perhaps focus on finding a duplex, or 4 flex to house hack for your first deal? You get experience as a landlord, and it can create great cash flow. I did this with my first single family home with a buddy for a few years. Then turned it into a full time rental when I moved out. Food for thought.

  • Delaware, OH · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Michael Noto financeable
  • Delaware, OH · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Alexander Lang I was thinking that too but then again I could just continue living with my parents for free I mostly just trying to figure out how I'm going to finance the first deal
  • Rental Property Investor · Savage, MN · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 61 votes
    10y

    @Jordan Lisenbee - That makes sense as well. Yeah do not feel the pressure to "jump right in" and risk making horrible mistakes. If you have the opportunity to save up and build a nice down payment on any property while continuing to educate yourself then you will be ahead of many investors even today. Just because you buy a house and rent it out it doesn't make you a successful investor/landlord. It's when you buy it right, understand the basics and can learn while you grow that creates longevity in this business I feel. It would be a career killer for you to jump out, buy your first property, and get a dumpy tenant, or buy wrong and end up paying for people to live in it (I know people like this), so take your time, educate yourself, and save up for the right opportunity so when that happens you are ready to rock it.

  • Delaware, OH · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Alexander Lang yes exactly and I'm taking my time to learn and research but if a good deal was to come across I would probably find a way to jump on it
  • Investor · Benton Harbor, MI · Member since 2013 · 257 posts · 140 votes
    10y

    To answer your question from earlier, basically many have said what I summarized it the "tough" statement. HML are great because they primarily use the subject property to determine terms, however with little/no experience, cash, credit your options are limited. If you think you have a smoking deal I would see about partnering with an experienced flipper or at least a contractor who has done flips (if they have not done flips they are not the same). They can help you avoid pitfalls most newbies can fall into such as over-paying, underestimating rehab, over/under improving.

    Additionally I have to give you kudos for stretching yourself at such a young age. Wish I had started at 18!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.