Sheriff Sales

Sheriff Sales

Wholesaler · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hello, I have been checking out sheriff sales and foreclosure sales for quite awhile now, and can't seem to get a very good answer regarding purchasing at these events. My confusion is regarding the redemption rights. It seems like there are investment groups out there that are buying, or trying to buy the redemption rights to all of the good properties. My understanding is that if I were to buy a property at the sheriff sale, or even a different type of auction, then these investor groups could swoop in and redeem the property for what I paid, plus minimal expenses. Does this mean the only way to safely buy at these auctions is to secure redemption rights prior to the auction, by contacting the current owner and negotiating a deal? If so, would I be competing with others that are trying to buy redemption rights as well?

It seems like there are many good properties going to these auctions, but so confusing on how to actually purchase them.

Thanks for any guidance.

0Reply
19 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Bogota, NJ · Member since 2016 · 128 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    Answers from people in your state are probably going to be more helpful than mine as state to state varies so much in the process and legal nuance.  Nothing unexpected in that statement.  But here, I believe it has been made illegal to do something like this.  Its call "air hunting" I believe.  Its actually, as far as I know, only for tax certificate foreclosures.  

    The point I'm making is this may not be legal.  It may very well be, but I'd guess that this behavior is recognized as undesirable for lienholders because no one will bid the properties at the auction because this sort of behavior discourages it.   But I'm speculating.  

    Another avenue is to attend the sales, find someone who is clearly seasoned, strike up a convo, and see how they deal with the issue.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.