What would you do, need to move.

What would you do, need to move.

Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 33 votes

Hi BP'ers, I would really like some recommendations on something. Long story short, after 2 years of moving to Austin for my job, we decided to buy a house (regular 30 yr mortgage). We got exactly what we wanted in Pflugerville, with a baby on the way we wanted the tranquility of the area, the great schools, the big backyard and it's in a golf course, so lots of green areas. Now my son is 15 months, and we have a girl on her way due in October.

My wife and I have been studying about REI, we took one of the guru courses here in Austin (but we didn't go for the super expensive mentorship program once I found BP), and our objective is to start adding buy and holds (and rent) to our portfolio, invest wisely the income we have, and build long term wealth for our future. Short term goal is to get at least one producing cash-flow asset this year.

As fate would have it, we need to move again soon to the Dallas area (job is near Richardson). This might be something temporary but at least 6-8 months. So the options I'm thinking of to use this situation to help kick off our REI endeavor are:

1. Renting out the current house and getting another one (perhaps a duplex) in Dallas with an FHA loan.

2. Sell this house and get out the little equity I have built, but it's not even 2 yrs and I know I won't get the tax breaks of having lived here for at least 2 yrs.

3. Any other ideas you guys can give me.

Thanks in advance!

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

Keeo the current property as a rental.  House hack a multi-family in Dallas.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 58 votes
    10y

    I personally like the idea of getting a duplex in Dallas and house hacking if there is potential it is short term in Dallas. If it is short term, you move back and then have a duplex to rent and (hopefully) be making money on. Giving you two doors over 1. 

    Not sure what your financial situation is, but potential is there! Good luck figuring it out. 

  • Investor · Rexburg idaho · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    I agree with @Russell Naylor, I'm no expert by any means but my wife and I are doing the same thing because the down payment for us will be so much lower. We're hoping to purchase a triplex or quad next with my va loan.

  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Keeo the current property as a rental.  House hack a multi-family in Dallas.

  • Penny ClarkPro Member
    Sacramento, CA · Member since 2014 · 513 posts · 319 votes
    10y

    @Jose Matuk, Do the numbers make sense for you to keep your current home as a rental rather than selling it? Will it cash flow at least $200 after all expenses are accounted for including repairs, vacancy, cap ex? Will you be managing it yourself? If not, you have to add that cost in. Do you have enough in funds for the down payment and closing costs for your new home and a six month PITI reserve fund for your rental?

    If you can say yes to all the questions above, then go for it!

  • Specialist · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2016 · 355 posts · 191 votes
    10y
    I am nowhere close by, but it seems like I keep hearing how hot the Austin market is. Seems like it would be best to keep that as a rental and let it appreciate while you get a low down payment on a new house as the owner occupant.
  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    I agree that if the numbers work you should keep it. Seems like a good excuse to get your first rental property.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    Thank you all for your responses, it is what I had figured out. 

    @Penny Clark  your points are very valid and not something that I had thought of, especially the 6 month cushion but it makes sense just in case. 

    I guess is a matter of testing the rental market in my area and see if it will rent for what I need to cashflow like that, definitely I think this would make a good stepping stone to my future REI business.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.