Able to save several thousands a month should I start now or wait

Able to save several thousands a month should I start now or wait

Gatineau, Québec · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi,

I'd like to get some insight from experienced people here on what you would do in my situation. I am focused on rental properties.

Right now, I am on an intensive "saving" period.

I'm 26 and I recently moved into an apartment with my brother. We picked a really cheap apartment which costs us each $250 / month to live in. I am frugal on my expenses and I own no car.

I am a web developer and I am able to save $5000 per month (after all expenses including taxes).

About my location, I live in Quebec, Canada, where the cost of living is not really expensive but I don't know which U.S city I can compare with for the housing market - let's say for $200,000 a decent family house (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, modern etc.) can be bought. Decent quadruplexes for ~$500,000. I might be off in my numbers but that might not play a big factor in your answers.

I'm trying to come up with a game plan and right now I have these 2 questions where your insight would probably come into play:

1. Should I start buying rental properties ASAP, IE save for ~6 months and buy something like a single-family home or duplex.
2. Should I save for a longer period, and start "bigger" with a multiplex IE quadruplex. (and go on from there, keeping my job and trying to buy a new quadruplex as soon as I can again, then bigger apartments units whenever I can afford it etc.)

If I go with 1., I am thinking that the burden of dealing with new properties could be a disadvantage because it *could* interfere with my daily job which brings a cash flow much bigger than these "small" properties. However, the good side would be that even if it's a burden, I would most likely be able to still save 5K a month, so it would be a good bonus to have while giving me experience about real-estate.

If I go with 2, I don't gain experience but I can save in peace, read a lot, and possibly earn more than 5K a month by working over-time.

Any kind of insights will be appreciated I really want to gain as much knowledge as much as possible.

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Westboro, MA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 471 votes
10y

Welcome @Dany Pelletier

1. I am looking to house hack with a duplex or tri plex. Figure out how you want to finace the deal. If you live in the unit you can do a FHA loan which is 3.5% down and you live in the residence for one year-

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Douglasville, GA · Member since 2014 · 313 posts · 181 votes
    10y

    I would start with a single family, or duplex.   Keep your job (it makes financing much easier).

    After you have a few properties under your belt,  you can decide if Real Estate is for you, and you will have a better idea if you like Single family rentals or want to move into larger multi-families.  Also starting with singe family homes makes it easier to get out if you decide real estate isn't your thing.

  • Gatineau, Québec · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Makes sense, thanks!

  • Philippe LaurinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Laval, Quebec · Member since 2014 · 104 posts · 44 votes
    10y

    Hi @Dany Pelletier,

    Option #1 is the way to go, for multiple reasons:

    1) First, because it will start to give you real life experience with being a landlord. It's a good idea to read up on how to handle tenants, but if you start small, any mistake you make (and you will make some, no matter how well prepared you are) will be less critical than if you bought a 10-unit building right from the start. 

    2) Nothing is stopping you from buying a small unit and using it as a stepping stone for a larger investment. Leverage is the key here. 

    3) Also, it will help you build credibility with banks/lenders. That's not something you can easily fake.

    4) It will help prevent paralysis by analysis. Get you hands dirty, then the second time you buy will be easier.

    I don't know much about the Gatineau area so I can't help you with specifics on that market, but I'm guessing that the proximity to Ottawa is good for renting opportunities.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 933 posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Dany,

    Awesome that you are committed to super saving and RE goals as a path to get you there.  My favorite book of all time remains the Millionaire Next Door.  I think a logical approach and not knowing your area, is to start small and get some experience acquiring and managing your own SFRs or small duplex / fourplex.  You could also house hack that way, living free on one side and renting out the other units to pay your mortgage.

    Keep saving, studying and get a handful of these properties.  Mortgage rates are low so great time to go long (30yrs) and get properties cash flowing.  No greater excitement than to see extra cash coming in from a relatively passive activity.  It literally takes me a whole 1hr at most per month to manage all 6 of my SFRs.

    After a few years of this, you see equity building and cash flow increasing, you naturally start thinking of larger MF.  You could at this stage buy some smaller apt units if you want to be active or you could get a coach (recommended since you can now afford one) and invest in ramping faster.  You could learn the apt market, ask the coach to put you in a syndicated deal in exchange for say raising capital for them.  

    Bottomline, the capacity to save and learn right now is key, take the path of least resistence, find an investor focused RE agent, buy quality homes in good school districts, in areas of strong rental demand.  Rinse and repeat, you will know when you are ready to graduate from SFRs.  In my case, I did just that, got up to 6 SFRs, then started into duplexes and fourplexes, then had new challenges.  I got sick of my day job / career in corporate so left and had no W2; ran into the 10 mortgage limit rule as well that would make financing more expensive so looked at apartments where your job is not as important as your financial condition and income producing capacity of the apt.  I hired a coach and that made all the difference.  I could not afford that when starting out (time / $) but when I saw the light, it made all the sense in the world.

    I could tell you to go get a coach now and get into MF investing.  That will get you there faster but I'm not so sure I didn't learn a ton and gain confidence and some cash flow in smaller plays over the past 4 years.  PM me for some ideas on coaches, education materials, etc.

  • Logan AllecBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 980 votes
    10y

    Owner occupy a MF.  I was in a very similar situation to you about a year and a half ago when I was likewise at the age of 26, and  and after much research and soul-searching and advice from folks who have been at this for decades, an owner-occupied fourplex made the most sense.  Good luck, man.

    Clarita CPA Group516 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Westboro, MA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 471 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Dany Pelletier

    1. I am looking to house hack with a duplex or tri plex. Figure out how you want to finace the deal. If you live in the unit you can do a FHA loan which is 3.5% down and you live in the residence for one year-

  • ., OH · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 127 votes
    10y


    Welcome. You have already set yourself up for success by joining BiggerPockets!!
    This is really the premier place to start learning about RE and what it can do for you!

    1. First things first, learn the basics --> http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    2. Then, download the BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide and start reading some more!!
    The UBG will will walk through many of the key topics of real estate investing. Ask anyone here, its an invaluable resource. --> https://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investin...
    3. Once that's done, get to listening to the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A really great podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. --> https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/...
    4. Now you're ready to face the RE world !! GO GET IT!!

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Dany Pelletier, either way, going by your resolution, please make sure that by October 13 you have at least $30k extra in the bank than you already have! 

    Secondly, make sure each of your buys are smokin' deals! All the very best...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.