Am I in trouble down the road?

Am I in trouble down the road?

Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 6 votes

Hello, BP.

My wife and I just closed on a 2/2 1,059 sq. ft. condo in Durango, CO where we will be living for the next 2-3 years, maybe longer. 5/1 ARM at 3.375, 15 year am, $188,000 purchase price, loan of $169,200, monthly payment of $1,199. There is also HOA of $353/month that covers ext. insurance, water, sewer, ext. maintenance including snow removal, trash, and some shared amenities like pool and BBQ area. The condo is literally across the street from Fort Lewis college (liberal arts college with student body of 4,000). Our thought is that we could some day rent it to 2-3 students or MAYBE a family for around $1,800. The 50% rule says we would lose about $300/month as long as there is a mortgage but I won't be on the hook for roof, water heater, landscaping, etc. The city is growing and the trends seem to be moving in a positive direction but no one can predict the future. Sale isn't a great option because the condo is not FHA approved, seriously limiting our potential buyer pool. Also, we would like to make this our first investment property if it isn't a total bad move. Any thoughts from the group are greatly appreciated!

0Reply
30 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2011 · 345 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    Hey there @Eric Neal. It doesn't look to be a good rental. Besides what you've noted, taxes, insurance, turnover could make it really bad. Why did you decide to buy it? It looks like you knew it may be hard to sell, and lose money renting it out.

    Good luck.

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Hey, Jeff,

    To be honest, it was an affordable option that matched with the timeline of moving to Durango. I got a great job offer at a local bank. I thought it would be a risk but it's 1.9 miles from my job and in town as opposed to some of the cities 20-30 miles away where several people buy. The college rentals and our 4 pets priced us out of being renters. I think the upside of being in town and connecting with others is PROBABLY going to be worth the risk for the next few years. It's the years after that that concern me. Thanks for the input though. Best wishes with your investing!

  • Melbourne, FL · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Eric Neal  $1,199 is just your principal and interest payment, right?   As @Jeff Valentino pointed out you've also got taxes and insurance on top of that.

    If you aren't in the immediate area in 2-3 years when you start renting it, you may also have property management expenses?

    Last thought, your payment could be going up in 5 years with ARM?

    Any way to get the condo FHA approved?

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Hi, Lauren,

    Exterior insurance and taxes are included in the HOA dues.

    On FHA approval, I think the issue will be the minimum owner occupied percentage. I'm not sure the percentage now but I think it's low.

  • Melbourne, FL · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Eric Neal sorry for not clarifying, I meant your insurance coverage for personal property and liability, I don't think that's covered by the exterior insurance...

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    That's true, Lauren, but I don't think it will expensive for us living there and I assume renters insurance fallas on the future renter.

    Also, how are y'all putting the persons name in your response?

  • Melbourne, FL · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    10y
  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 314 posts · 153 votes
    10y

    @Eric Neal No offense, but you need to do a ton more research before you think about an investment property. It seems fine as a primary residence, but not great. It's a terrible investment unless you have reason to believe your market is going to go way up.

    Don't ever buy a property thinking you "might rent it to students in the future" -- if you're going to rent to students, be aware that you're renting to students, and design it appropriately (for example, expensive fixtures are generally a bad idea in a student rental). While you can make money with students, they're generally very hard on your property and require a bit more hands on management until you have it dialed in with your particular student body.

    Renters insurance covers the renter's belongings, NOT your house. I've never heard of HOA dues that cover taxes, but I suppose it's possible.

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Lauren R. Thanks so much!

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    I appreciate the input, Wes. I take no offense at all and am open to all input. I'm falling into your mind set: decent first home but probably not a great rental. I hope to stay in touch with the forums as my time in this condo goes on.

  • Investor · Canton-Akron, OH · Member since 2012 · 917 posts · 477 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Eric Neal:

    That's true, Lauren, but I don't think it will expensive for us living there and I assume renters insurance fallas on the future renter.

    Also, how are y'all putting the persons name in your response?

     Start by typing the @symbol and start typing the person's name and it should pop up for you to click on.

    @Eric Neal unless you are using an Android devise like I am, many times it won't work :-(

  • Investor · Canton-Akron, OH · Member since 2012 · 917 posts · 477 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Eric Neal:

    That's true, ....

     In which case you can click the dots on upper right hand corner, then click quote, and delete anything you don't want and just leave the @name

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.