Foreign Partner Update

Foreign Partner Update

Investor · Kusatsu, Shiga · Member since 2015 · 147 posts · 87 votes

Hi guys,

A few months ago I asked for some advice about how to buy property with a foreign partner, and I got some good advice, but I am still stuck on a few points. Here is the situation:

I am an American citizen living in Japan who owns 5 single family properties in the US. One of my friends, who is from New Zealand and experienced investing there, wants to partner up with me to buy property in the US.

I want to get conventional loans to purchase the properties, so I cannot buy them in an LLC, though I could probably transfer them to one later. Also, we want to split the down payment, he will pay closing costs also because I am getting the loan. I asked my mortgage broker about this and she said that he would need to give me his portion of the down payment and I would have to keep it in my bank account for 60 days before I could buy the property. But, can he just give me the money? He can't gift it to me because he has a financial interest in the property. How does he legally transfer it to me in this case? Any ideas?

Thanks

0Reply
9 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    I would go with what your broker said. All Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac lenders want allow for a gift. You would have to seasoned it for 60 days. The lender will want to source all of you large deposits. If the deposit is on your bank statement, then you cannot use funds.

  • Investor · Kusatsu, Shiga · Member since 2015 · 147 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    Hi Graham, thanks for your response. I think my concern here is really one of taxes. By seasoning the money in my account I can avoid the issue with the lender because they only ask for two months prior statements, but I still have to explain this money to the IRS. How do I report it? I can't say it's a gift or payment for something. Any ideas? Thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.