Land Value in Chelmsford, MA

Land Value in Chelmsford, MA

Nick NoonPro Member
Chelmsford, MA · Member since 2015 · 124 posts · 70 votes

I am in the middle of a "Live-in Flip" project.  I bought the house on March 1st and am doing some extensive rehab to the house (nights and weekends starting to wear on me, but a story for another day!)  I recently met my adjacent neighbor and after about a minute of talking he quickly came out and said, "are you interested in selling any of your land?"  I was a little caught off guard, but I told him we could talk about it.  

He wants about 800 - 1000 sf of my land that would make a straight line for his backyard.  My land kind of jogs in to his backyard, so it kind of makes sense.  I have 26,000sf so I have land to spare, and the piece he wants I probably wouldn't use much anyway.  Does anyone know what the going rate of land is in Chelmsford, MA?  Would I simply divide the $184,000 of land value that the town assessor says its worth and divide that by my total SF and get a SF cost?  It comes out to around $7.00/SF and that's kind of what I'm seeing for land for sale in the area.  

The other interesting part is that he wants to fence in his property.  I was planning on fencing in my property as well, so it would almost be a double win.  He would pay me to basically fence in my property...or at least about 40% of it.  I was thinking about making a deal where he would fence in my property along with his, which would be like an extra 275LF of fencing which would probably be in the $7,000 range.

I don't want to give my neighbor a price that would put a bad taste in his mouth, so I was wondering if anyone knew what would be a fair price for the land.  Some other things to note, he just paid $540,000 for his house a year ago, so I'm guessing he has money.  He really wants the land and is motivated as it would make his backyard make more sense.  

The town requires a $100 application fee along with a professional survey of the lot lines to be changed.  This is land transaction that the town calls a "Approval Not Required" or "ANR".  I would make my neighbor pay all lawyers fee's to change deeds, and to pay for survey since he is the one that wants the land.  

Would I be asking too much?

0Reply
18 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 213 posts · 57 votes
    10y

    The market value is what he is willing to pay and you are willing to accept... there is not  a to much or to little.  why don't you come up with a cost $14000 (pick a number) to hire the surveyor and do the process with the city.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    10y

    This is obviously a pretty unique situations compared a general land sale.

    First thing I would want to keep in mind is that you have a big lot already and if it is a odd little jut out that you won't really use then it probably won't effect your value at all if you sell it.  As in should more or less be all profit to you.

    Using that assessed number is probably a good one to use just because it "makes sense" and is an easily justifiable way come up with a number.  Again keep in mind this isn't like you are selling a buildable lot.  It is just a sliver of land that currently has no value to anyone on earth except for you and him.  

    So you have to try to guess how much he wants it so you can do well on it without leaving money on the table but not poison the deal since you don't have any alternative to sell it.  And of course, as you pointed out, not wanting to setup a bad relationship with the neighbor if he now thinks you are a greedy prick.  :)

    The fence idea might be a good one.  Ask for a reasonable price and for that bonus instead of higher number.  He might not have any idea what it costs so could be cool off the bat.  If he gets it quoted to start with your portion as well might never have a good feel for the extra costs.  Even if he does probably 50/50 he will just say to himself "**** I didn't know it was going to be that much" and then lets it go.  Worst case he comes back to you and says he didn't realize how much it would be and you can look all awesome by saying that is a lot and offering to pick up some of it to make him happy and help the relationship while still making out in the deal since it was money you and planned to spend anyway.

    Oh and 100% agree that any application fees, the survey, costs of drafting documents and any other work needed to get things to the closing table are totally on him.  No reason you should be holding the bag for any of that if he flakes out.

    BTW Congrats on the house and Good luck with this and the renovations! 

  • Nick NoonPro Member
    OP
    Chelmsford, MA · Member since 2015 · 124 posts · 70 votes
    10y

    @Shaun Reilly

    Shaun, as always thanks for the sound advice!  I'll talk with him soon about the deal.  I think the assessed value of the land is definitely a good starting point.  That way he doesn't think I'm pulling a number out of my butt with no credible back-up just to make a buck.  

    Some sneak peak pictures of the renovation.....It's become a life of it's own!  I have taking out almost every wall in the house hahah.  Apparently I love LVL's

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    10y

    Looks like a good size project.  Does look like it has solid bones though.

    Can definitely already see the potential for it to be a really nice place once you are done with it.

    Oh and my Grandma likes the wallpaper choice.  :)

  • Nick NoonPro Member
    OP
    Chelmsford, MA · Member since 2015 · 124 posts · 70 votes
    10y

    hahhah.  Wallpaper...EVERYWHERE.  It's been a nightmare.

    House had a solid foundation and updated electrical (even though I ended up rewiring half the house).  Hopefully I can make a little money of this project and start getting some buy and holds!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.