Paint cedar tongue and groove and beams?

Paint cedar tongue and groove and beams?

Rehabber/Contractor/Business Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 70 votes

Hey all,

I'm working on a contemporary SFH rehab in Atlanta GA that has cedar beam and ceilings only in the living room. My wife says we need to paint it white, but I am not convinced. Obviously selling quickly and at top dollar is the priority.

Most similar homes in the area have left them natural and they are still selling quickly. It will only cost me about $500 additional to paint the ceiling and beams.

Looking for some educated opinions on which way to go.

Thanks!

- Chris 

0Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

If leave it alone...it's 500 to paint it and 5 times that minimum to unpaint it...

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Coplay, PA · Member since 2015 · 404 posts · 315 votes
    10y

    What does the listing agent say will sell the fastest for the most. That is what they are for.

  • Rehabber/Contractor/Business Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 70 votes
    10y

    My agent says leave them. My painter, who painted multi million dollar properties in Destin for 20 years, says paint. He's family and I know he's not taking me for a ride.

    I think the white would open it up, but the wood is so warm and cozy.

    - Chris 

  • Investor · Burleson, TX · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    10y
    Paint the slats and leave the beams? Depends on how it is setup.
  • Rehabber/Contractor/Business Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 70 votes
    10y

    Jason,

    I've considered that as well. I looked at some pics and I think it clashes. Here's some pics of the ceiling. The floors in the room will be a medium hardwood and all the other wood trim will be painted white.

  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    If leave it alone...it's 500 to paint it and 5 times that minimum to unpaint it...

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Charlie Fitzgerald:

    If leave it alone...it's 500 to paint it and 5 times that minimum to unpaint it...

     ditto... that's a beautiful 'natural' ceiling so why go to the unnecessary expense. The buyer can always decide later.

  • Rehabber/Contractor/Business Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 70 votes
    10y

    I agree with all statements made on this, but we are all men and I expect we appreciate the character and warmth of the wood. But we all know who buys SFR's. Any womanly feedback around here?

    - Chris 

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    That ceiling is gorgeous. Leave it alone. If a buyer wants to paint, it's much easier for them to do it than to undo it.

    I live in a contemporary home with a similar ceiling and love it (even though I've considered painting accent cedar walls, but left them too). My neighbors painted their ceiling and while it's still nice, it really takes away from that cozy, cabin, natural beauty.

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    The room seems to have plenty of natural light already, so no need to "open it up." :-)

  • Rehabber/Contractor/Business Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 70 votes
    10y

    Thanks Nicole, I appreciate the input. Now to convince the misses...

    - Chris

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @Chris Brown, another female vote for leaving them alone. Those are gorgeous!

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Please leave them.   If you like natural wood it is nearly impossible to go back after painting.  If the future buyer wants them white they can do it.  It is unlikely that an unpainted ceiling will be a deciding factor in the sale. They look nice as they are.

    .

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    I like'm too, but consider - - wood is warm (aka dark) and has low reflectivity. Ever get into a wood paneled den and notice how dark it was?

    "Happy wife, happy life".

  • Real Estate Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Hi Chris,
    Originally posted by @Chris Brown:

    Hey all,

    I'm working on a contemporary SFH rehab in Atlanta GA that has cedar beam and ceilings only in the living room. My wife says we need to paint it white, but I am not convinced. Obviously selling quickly and at top dollar is the priority.

    If you are sure they are cedar (from the photo they seem pine, but I could be wrong) then I wouldn't paint them. In California exposed wood ceilings are a plus. Cedar would even be more so.

    You can advertise cedar ceilings but if they are painted over it will raise suspicion in the buyer's mind during the property inspection. Here's a winning solution. If you get a serious buyer who puts cash in Escrow then offer to paint the ceiling for cost, $500, if the buyer so desires. Otherwise leave them unpainted but let potential buyers know you will paint the ceiling if they prefer.

    Most similar homes in the area have left them natural and they are still selling quickly. It will only cost me about $500 additional to paint the ceiling and beams.

    It's a relatively quick and inexpensive job. So tell any prospective buyer who visits the property that the ceiling will be painted if requested. Be sure the condition is in the Offer and in your Acceptance should it go that far. Be sure the good faith cash placed in Escrow will be more than enough to paint the ceiling AND remove it if the Buyer backs out of the deal at the last minute. Inform the serious Buyer in advance of both costs he will bear ---- painting,--- and removing the paint should he renege. 

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    No, @Jeff B.! Don't fall for that "happy wife, happy life" garbage! lol

    Not all rooms with wood look dark to include the room we're discussing. There's tons of rooms with wood ceilings and/or wood walls that are absolutely gorgeous. Not dark and dated.

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Chris Brown

    I think the real question is how comfortable is your couch? If it's really like camping and you get to get a 6 pack and watch TV and play video games all night, then I say leave it. If it has a big lump and the cable is out, then I say paint it.

    :)

    Seriously though I love them and wouldn't touch them

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nicole A.:

    No, @Jeff B.! Don't fall for that "happy wife, happy life" garbage! lol

    Not all rooms with wood look dark to include the room we're discussing. There's tons of rooms with wood ceilings and/or wood walls that are absolutely gorgeous. Not dark and dated.

     hmm;  After 49yrs together, it works for me (well sort of :giggle:)

    Preferences are always personal, so as stated above, I would offer a concession at COE if there's an objection raised.

  • Investor · Bethesda, MD · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    My husband and I had the exact difference of opinion when we owned a tudor that was dark because of the walnut wood on the walls and ceiling. I loved the wood he wanted to paint all of it. In the end we compromised and painted the walls but not the beams or doorways. That house was dark but very open and needed some brightening so the compromise worked well because we retained some of the character of the room but made it look much lighter and more contemporary.

    All of that being said I love that ceiling and think it doesn't need to be painted at all.

  • Rehabber/Contractor/Business Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 70 votes
    10y

    I've slept on the couch before, by my choice and not. And I am prepared to do so again in the name of profit! But really, that is what it comes down to, what will make it sell fastest and for the most. 

    I think offering to paint if the buyer requests is probably the best path.

    Thanks everyone, it's a great community 'round here!

    - Chris 

  • Landlord · Shutesbury, MA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Chris,

    Don't paint!  The ceiling is beautiful and makes the space special.  

    The only reason to paint over wood is if it somehow has become damaged or stained beyond being able to sand the damage out.

    I repeat, don't paint!

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y

    My parents painted cedar in their basement in one room and it turned out nice - after several coats of paint. My point being that you may find it takes more than one coat and more than $500 to do the job. My personal opinion, I think it looks nice and I wouldn't paint it. Every part of the country has their own standards of what people like, so I would default to what your agent says. One suggestion is to have your agent bring other people from their office to look at it and give their opinion. Experienced agents are going to know what buyers are looking for. 

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Chris Brown Sorry Chris, I have to agree with your wife. While I agree the cedar beams are beautiful, they are about as far from "contemporary" as it gets. If you have already decided to go contemporary with paint, fireplace design, tile selection, and cabinets you are going to be stuck with a room that doesn't fit. Is contemporary just the hot ticket right now in your area? 

    Good luck with your project!

  • Investor · Saint Augustine, FL · Member since 2015 · 227 posts · 61 votes
    10y

    The wood is beautiful natural so I say don't paint...

  • Rehabber/Contractor/Business Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 70 votes
    10y

    Dillon,

    Around Atlanta, we call homes built in the 70's - 80's ish with these types of lines "Contemporary". They had strong, angular lines, lots of large sometimes odd shaped windows, very futuristic for their times. They are back in style here because of the character and uses of wood, and sometimes the integration into the woods. I think the generation who grew up in cookie cutter suburbs are craving homes with a bit more style and character. They were big in the South, not sure about the rest of the country.

    All the best!

    - Chris

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    Chris, you have received many opinions here, most of which to leave it alone. I won't provide another opinion as they are like rear ends (everybody has one). What I will provide are items to think about.

    1. Look at the areas where the people live who are making the opinions, what works in one state or one county may not be correct for your specific area.

    2. Everybody but one failed to see the most important factor in your post - that you are doing a "contemporary" project and as such, opinions should be based on that, not what everybody "likes".

    Lastly, I have had multiple projects here in Southern CA with this very same issue (several when going for contemporary and one where I was changing from Tudor to traditional with some modern flares. On the contemporary projects, I have done both of the following: painted it all white and painted the T&G and stained the beams in a dark walnut finish. Both turned out fantastic and both can be found on my before and after videos (Wagon Renovation 1:36-1:46; Calabasas Renovation 10:18-10:25; Sherman Oaks 0:25-0:29 & 5:19-5:25) on my website in my signature below. DISCLAIMER: I am not promoting my website here or trying to sell anything, just providing the specific videos for your review for your specific situation. Note that on the Calabasas flip video, the ceilings are drywall and not T&G and the Sherman Oaks flip doesnt have the before shots before I started the ceilings, however, so you know what I did, I wrapped the beams and put drywall over the T&G thereby preserving the wood and simply painted the drywall.

    That all said, keep in mind that all of my examples were done here in CA where modern and contemporary homes are all the rage and deliver some of the highest resale values (in most, not all areas here).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.