Thoughts on real estate agents carrying firearms...

Thoughts on real estate agents carrying firearms...

Statesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 24 votes

Hello, all. I tried to look through the forums for a related topic to this, but couldn't find one. With all the news of mass shootings, more and more people are buying weapons for their own protection. This isn't to start a debate on thoughts of gun control, just to simply ask the question: Is it okay for a real estate agent to carry an unconcealed firearm (on the hip or somewhere noticeable) for their own safety?

I live in south Georgia, so guns are very common. To me, having an agent show me a home with a gun holstered on his hip wouldn't make me uncomfortable, and I would actually consider doing so myself with showing homes. What are your thoughts?

Side note: I did some research on the topic myself before posting this. I found an article that took a poll on whether or not local real estate agencies should offer gun safety training. 55% said yes, it could be helpful. 32.86% said no, that it should be left to other agencies. And 12.14% said maybe, that it depends on the local laws. The same article quoted, "...in the National Association of REALTORS®’ 2015 Member Safety Report, 12 percent of REALTORS® say they carry a gun in the field."

What are your thoughts?

1Reply
478 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 16 votes
10y

I will always carry! Done right, with the right training no would ever know. I carry if im going to million dollar houses or 5k dollar house. The neighborhood is not a determination if I carry or not. I want to be in control of my life in every aspect, I carry insurance for my finances and a gun for my life.

See this reply in the discussion

89 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 45 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @John Thedford:

    LOL..many great responses. I like the one from other investors saying that if the neighborhood is too dangerous for your comfort..sell your property to them! Motivated are we??:) I wanted to show a little gadget. It appears to be a Maglite flashlight. It doesn't work as a flashlight, but instead holds and shoots a .410 shotgun shell. If all else fails, hit the attacker with it:)

    Disclaimer: no legal advice given. This item may or may not be legal in your state.

     Ha ha.  I can pretty much promise it is NOT legal in anyone's state.  

  • Investor · Owasso, OK · Member since 2013 · 166 posts · 90 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Adam L.:
    Originally posted by @John Thedford:

    LOL..many great responses. I like the one from other investors saying that if the neighborhood is too dangerous for your comfort..sell your property to them! Motivated are we??:) I wanted to show a little gadget. It appears to be a Maglite flashlight. It doesn't work as a flashlight, but instead holds and shoots a .410 shotgun shell. If all else fails, hit the attacker with it:)

    Disclaimer: no legal advice given. This item may or may not be legal in your state.

     Ha ha.  I can pretty much promise it is NOT legal in anyone's state.  

     I think it probably is legal in at least half the states. I remember my dad having an "ink pen" that could shoot .22  He picked it up at a local gun show.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greensboro, NC · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Each state is different when it comes to open carry. I would advise against open carry even if your state allows it. I am a certified firearms instructor, and I advise my clients against open carry. 

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    10y

    I used to carry a glock 26 with a pierce +2 extension. I then realized things, and gave it up. What I realized was that anytime I draw that weapon would already be too late, as it would occur as a reaction to something that already occurred. Additionally, wearing a weapon is an indicator that one has something worth stealing, potentially. Further, maybe I overreact and kill someone. Maybe I do time. Bad idea to carry.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 45 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Scott Carder:
    Originally posted by @Adam L.:
    Originally posted by @John Thedford:

    LOL..many great responses. I like the one from other investors saying that if the neighborhood is too dangerous for your comfort..sell your property to them! Motivated are we??:) I wanted to show a little gadget. It appears to be a Maglite flashlight. It doesn't work as a flashlight, but instead holds and shoots a .410 shotgun shell. If all else fails, hit the attacker with it:)

    Disclaimer: no legal advice given. This item may or may not be legal in your state.

     Ha ha.  I can pretty much promise it is NOT legal in anyone's state.  

     I think it probably is legal in at least half the states. I remember my dad having an "ink pen" that could shoot .22  He picked it up at a local gun show.

     With the proper paperwork filled out of course.  Ha ha.  You still need to register these with the ATF which is why I said what I said.  But that is for a different forum topic.  My apologies for going off subject.  That being said, I would bring a flashlight with you to the showings as well as a concealed gun.  There... Back on topic(s)

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    10y

    I am much more comfortable when I conceal my Glock and carry my Kimber pistol mace.


    Franklin

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 76 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    Get your concealed carry permit and look for a tuckable Inside the waist band holster like the Galco Sky Ops. It's made for dress clothing and a tucked in dress shirt. Then pray you never have to use your firearm.

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/31/texas-counts-...

    Texas counts down the hours until new Open Carry law takes effect
  • Investor-Realtor · Union, NJ · Member since 2013 · 48 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Very interesting discussion. Just remember to try and cover your butt at all times. 

    Here is a link for common safety tips:http://realtormag.realtor.org/sales-and-marketing/...

    Have a happy new year and stay safe everyone!

    Brian

  • Nino AlfanoPro Member
    Contractor · Lemont, IL · Member since 2015 · 335 posts · 76 votes
    10y
    If you were in chicago you'd have a gun on you 100%
  • Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Joel Owens said, "Unless people have been attacked in real life they have no clue what it is like. It is fast, unforgiving, and usually over in the blink of an eye."  This is very true.  Consider also that even if you use your gun in clear self-defense, your legal nightmares are only beginning. Even if you are not prosecuted, the perpetrator/victim's family could bring civil suit against you.  You will be tried in the press.  Half the community will defend you; the other half will have all kinds of advice about what you could've, should've done.  That half will demand at least civil punishment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 45 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Katie Rogers:

    Joel Owens said, "Unless people have been attacked in real life they have no clue what it is like. It is fast, unforgiving, and usually over in the blink of an eye."  This is very true.  Consider also that even if you use your gun in clear self-defense, your legal nightmares are only beginning. Even if you are not prosecuted, the perpetrator/victim's family could bring civil suit against you.  You will be tried in the press.  Half the community will defend you; the other half will have all kinds of advice about what you could've, should've done.  That half will demand at least civil punishment.

    I don't think any of that is a good enough reason to not protect yourself however true it may be. "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    A lot of great feedback and advice.  Definitely take into serious consideration the legal and morale ramifications of using a fire arm, even in self defense.

    If you are still interested in obtaining the right to carry concealed and your state doesn't offer you that option, look into those states that do.  Many states offer reciprocity.  For example, a Texas Conceal Carry Permit holder can carry concealed in the state of Virginia without the need to obtain additional training or permissions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.