Do mortgage charge offs attach to new property deed?

Do mortgage charge offs attach to new property deed?

Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hello everyone I'm so glad I found this website!

My wife and I have saved a substantial amount of money and ready to start investing in real estate, we are looking to do a cash purchase deal on a home or two flat and use as a rental or potential flip. 

The potential problem: We purchased our current home with a primary and secondary mortgage in 2008, our home is now underwater significantly and a couple of years ago we decided to stop paying the second mortgage. The second mortgage shows off as a charge off in our records but the second mortgage never took further auction such as foreclosure or did a judgment against us. 

The question that we have is: when we close on our new investment home (cash purchase), would the closing title company automatically attach the charge off to the new property? 

I have read this website but have not found a clear answer, from what I understand is that Liens and Judgments on a person do attached to any new purchased property by that person but what about charge offs? this charge off does not appear in the record of deeds because the mortgage company has not foreclose on it. 

Thanks!

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
10y

No. A "charge off" is just a credit reporting entry.  It is not a judgment and would not "attach" to anything.  Now, if they got a court judgment I assume it would attach, but that would be state specific.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Would love to hear what experts have to say in this situation.

  • Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 202 posts · 149 votes
    10y

    Bump, curious about this too.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    No. A "charge off" is just a credit reporting entry.  It is not a judgment and would not "attach" to anything.  Now, if they got a court judgment I assume it would attach, but that would be state specific.

  • Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2015 · 344 posts · 606 votes
    9y

    Wayne is absolutely right.  The charge off is their internal situation.  For them to go through the process of collecting or enforcing their collections (I.E. placing a judgement on you that attaches to other properties etc.) they would have to go through the due process to enforce their note.

    Actually, the fact that they have internally charged off your debt may open an opportunity to negotiate a payoff for absolute pennies on the dollar.

    As with all things like that, it's always best to get representation for that process. 

    Hope this helps

  • Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2014 · 96 posts · 72 votes
    9y

    Wow, I'm impressed!  I would love to be able to buy another property, for cash. I wonder what you're doing that I'm not? Oh right, not paying your creditors. 

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Matt Sicignano  that was funny!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.