How Do You Guys Find Investors For Amazing Projects?

How Do You Guys Find Investors For Amazing Projects?

Investor · Topanga Cyn, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes

Hello guys, 

 My name is Conor, I am new to Bigger Pockets. I am based here in Los Angeles, CA. I am wondering how you guys have found investors for projects you have done. I would love to hear any good ideas you guys have and any past successful experiences you guys want to share. Id love to know of any good strategies you might have for finding and meeting local investors. 

Ive read about many different types of local Real Estate/Investing Groups, and Id love to know where might be a good start for me start building new relationships and meeting new great people in the industry. I am a designer and builder and I am currently working on a new project planning to build another custom affordable ISBU Home, so any good advice you guys can give me on techniques to finding good investors would be awesome and I would really appreciate any advice you guys have. Thanks so much!!!

0Reply
7 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Topanga Cyn, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    hey guys does anybody have any info for me? I didn't know if you guys even read my message, I would love to hear any input you guys might have! Thanks 

  • Investor · Topanga Cyn, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Thanks Nick, I always appreciate new info and knowledge. When you say you look at how info is presented and look for a professional look, are you referring to the whole package/project in general or something more specific like construction plans or reputation, etc. knowledge is power thanks for sharing! 

  • Investor · Topanga Cyn, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Conor Colburn Welcome to BP. One of the biggest things I look for is how the information is presented (professional look,) and how credible the info is...

    Thanks Nick, I always appreciate new info and knowledge. When you say you look at how info is presented and look for a professional look, are you referring to the whole package/project in general or something more specific like construction plans or reputation, etc. knowledge is power thanks for sharing! 

  • Investor · Topanga Cyn, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Does Anybody else have any good feedback or info to share? Im also looking for a mentor that has knowledge of the local Los Angeles real estate market particularly the Topanga Cyn, Malibu, Westside LA, West Valley, Agoura Hills areas. 

    So if you guys have any recommendations on how I can find a mentor and  start attending some local real estate investment groups/meetings, is there any good way to find great local real estate investments groups. Thanks so much I really appreciate it!

  • Investor · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 438 posts · 187 votes
    11y

    @Conor Colburn

    I would start with meetup.com and do a search for investment groups in your area.  It might take a few meetings to decipher who the real players are vs the wannabes, but it should get you going in the right direction.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y

    Private lenders and investors are either going to be friends/family/colleagues or they will be lending to you based on your experience and the deal.  If your experience is strong enough, the deal will be secondary; likewise, if the deal is strong enough, your experience will be secondary.

    In terms of where to find investors, you can start here on BiggerPockets. Many of us provide funding and are willing to partner on deals if the person bringing the deal has the level of experience and/or the right deal. In addition, network at your local REIA, talk to professionals in your network who might have retirement money to lend, talk to other investors who may be looking to partner, etc.

    Money is everywhere...you just need the relationship, experience and/or deal to get it...

  • Investor · West Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 230 posts · 239 votes
    11y

    @conor 

    @Conor Colburnundefined

    What you're asking for is a playbook where none exists.  I met the person I invest by happenstance. He was rehabbing a house across the street from my sons daycare.  He had a sign outside showing he flipped homes. I kept peeking in the windows and one day he saw me and invited me in to show his work. He was extremely nice wanted nothing in return and helped me with real estate questions.  I solicited him 6 months later to invest in his projects. The other rehabber I met was through my neighbor. 

    If I were you I would start answering questions on the forum showing your knowledge.  Don't do it with an end goal of raising money but helping others. If your projects are good the money will come. I know personally I'm turned off by someone asking for money right off the bat. I think hmmm what happened to all the investors/ sources of money? What am missing as to why someone doesn't even know my last name but is asking for 200k?

  • Investor · Topanga Cyn, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    If anybody else has any good info to share it would be so awesome for you to chime in! Thanks!!!

  • Investor · Topanga Cyn, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    I love to hear everyone's opnion and what strategies you have used for finding great investors. I have met investors in many different situations and it's usually in the last place you would ever think. I've met some of my best investors on planes, in church, at professional sports games, and many other random places. 

    I have a great judge of character and that seems to go a long way. Im not saying U can judge a book by its cover, but once you meet somebody you can usually tell what kind of person they are and what kind of experience they truly have. Once you meet somebody a few different times I believe you can really get to know them for who they really are.

    At the end of the day the most common investors usually are friends, or family but I can say I've met some of the most successful Investors in the most random places, who ended up investing in my biggest projects. Please share your strategy how you find investments or whwre you have found your most successful investors. Thanks for sharing! 😉

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.