Buying a partner out of real estate

Buying a partner out of real estate

Real Estate Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 3 votes

Hi everyone, so I co-own a home with a family member and am seeking some advice.  Backround - we bought a home (with a mother-in-law) 2 years ago.  My cousin has since moved out, and I rent out his room.  My girlfriend also lives with me and pays rent.  My cousin does not want to keep the house long term but does not want to be bought out yet b/c he thinks the market is still going up. 

Under our present agreement, we have set specific rent for myself, gf, and tenants.  Above a certain amount, all profit goes into a joint account (50/50). My cousin still accrues equity and gets tax breaks. 

One reason I want to buy my cousin out is that since he moved out I have been doing all of the yard and home maintenance, dealing with tenants and handling finances.  He has done almost nothing, but continues to receive about $200 a month in profit from rent.  I think he should be sharing more of the burden of maintaining this very high maintenance property (large yard) if he wants to keep getting all of the benefits of home ownership.  

For more info, the rent we are getting for the upstairs (where I live with gf and tenant) is about what we would get if we rented it out separately.  My current rent is about equal to what I paid when my cousin was still living with us, but now I am responsible all of the work in the home.  

One reason I feel he should share in maintenance responsibilities (at least chipping in some money for a gardener) is because I am maintaining the home for, not just myself, but also the tenant in our mother-in-law, my gf, and the upstairs tenant. 

Your thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Peter

0Reply
22 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Weehawken, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    11y

    @Peter Nierman

    Welcome.

    I think the complexity of your arrangement is bolstered by the fact that there appears to be loads of 'funny money' floating around. Namely: You are performing tasks that add value to the property and create work for yourself, yet they are unaccounted for as a cost center.

    I would begin by trying to create a reasonable estimate on the cost of all the maintenance work per month: both the work you are doing and the work you are outsourcing. That amount is a require monthly cost center. Since you own the property 50/50, you pay in 50% and your cousin pays in 50%. The amount you pay will likely filter back to you, but it's important to make sure you yourself are also liable for that money... then he will understand where it comes from and where it's going.

    As for your cousin's reticence to sell. I would attempt to address that with variable rate seller financing. Basically, you pay him monthly installments, where the interest rate goes up (or down) based on the value of the property. This way, you are still giving your cousin a taste of the property swings while letting him move on his merry way. It guarantees income for him, and it allows you to solve your problem without getting a new bank loan.

    Only variable is if he wants a pile of cash for his next residence, you may have to offer a high down payment to meet his needs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.