first deal with seasoned partner investor

first deal with seasoned partner investor

Real Estate Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 8 votes

I have been looking for the right entry point to get in on my first deal. After putting the word out that I was looking to purchase a home to rehab and flip a real estate agent introduced me to a seasoned investor.

He currently owns over 200 properties and is looking to start investing in southern California. He just closed his first deal in so cal and is working on his second.

We talked about partnering up and putting capital together to acquire properties in so cal. Our target is cash purchase on $650-800k range. He asked that when structuring a deal we put the property in his name with a promissory note or lien in my name to secure my financial interest. He asked that he be in charge of the rehab portion due to his experience and we would split profits minus expenses. I believe in this scenario we would be contributing equal amounts of cash as well. 

I want to start out with a mentor and since I have capital I think this is a good opportunity to learn and win for him as well. Due to my inexperience I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to the structuring of this partnership. Am I exposing myself by allowing him to have the property in his name and me a promissory note?

0Reply
27 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MusicPro Member
    Investor · Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2013 · 219 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    Matthew, 

    Working with an experienced partner is a great way to go at it your first time out. Just make sure that he takes the time to educate you and that you aren't simply a finacial partner. In regards to this deal, you two could establish an LLC in which you both share interest then purchase in the name of the LLC, this is more paperwork and cost, but the propertyt would be in both of your names. If you didn't want to go that route, I would be comfortable with a Joint Venture Agreement, Promissor Note and a Deed of Trust. The Deed of Trust is what is recorded with the county/city and is the document that gives you claim to the property, that would be a must for me in this situation since you don't know this gentleman personally. Good Luck!

  • Real Estate Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the information Chris. What about a scenario where I take out a mortgage in my name and pay the down payment? The other investor would pay rehab costs and I would put him on the title as an owner after closing? My concern in a case like this is if the market heads south and I'm stuck paying the loan what legal rights do I have to make him cover his portion? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.