Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Dowler
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
Homepath 10% Down Investor Purchase No-Brainer!

Mitch Dowler
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Posted May 10 2014, 18:01

I have long had 4 financed properties so I have been paying 25% down plus closing costs for each new investment. I takes time for me to scrape together that kind of money for my buy and hold investment style. When I heard the recent BP podcast on Homepath I ecstatic. I had also done quite a bit of investing out of state due to price point and cash flow but now with Homepath properties right here in Washington state surrounding Joint Base Lewis McChord now make sense. Crunching the numbers I can realize strong positive cash flow and a 16% ROI.

I am retired Army and have great success keeping my properties in this area rented to both military and civilians. I have turned properties within a week and good tenants literally line up around here with good marketing and a quality unit. Once I have 10 financed properties Homepath is still a great tool to move up to 20 Fannie Mae financed properties by putting 25% or 30% down.

This is a big help in building my portfolio and helping to replace my earned income for a real retirement. I think about it this way, for every new investment property I acquire under my criteria that is one more day per month for the rest of my life that I don't have to work!

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Dowler
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Replied May 17 2014, 13:37

Fannie Mae was slow to reply and came back with a full price counter to my offer. I am coming back again with an incremental boost up on my offer. There was a failed sale on this place and no offers since. It was even posted as an ad and didn't sell. I know the neighborhood well having lived in the very desirable area and do still have another rental nearby. I am a persistent type so drive on I will. If I don't end up with a Homepath this time I have another ATM Machine investment waiting in the queue.

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Dowler
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Replied May 31 2014, 09:44

Sometimes things move slowly but they do move! I wanted to give an update as this Homepath property purchase progresses. The list price for the 1550 sq ft home was $206,900. After a failed sale it was reduced to $174,900. After negotiations we mutually accepted at $169,000 with Fannie Mae paying $5,915 in closing costs. Per my mortgage broker I should get a 5% interest rate. After the mortgage, taxes and insurance this should leave me $308 a month positive cash flow if I use a very conservative $1,400 per month rent. Most likely I will get $1,450 per month as I have another property in the same neighborhood that I just increased rents to this much. The property also comes with new stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, washer and dryer.

Now for the best part, Fannie Mae just put over $12,000 in renovation to the property. It is newly painted on the exterior and interior, new carpets, hardwood floors down stairs, new bathroom fixtures, kitchen cabinets, two car garage. Looking at recent sales for surrounding homes and in addition looking at Zillow we will close with $50,000 equity in the property!!!!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Hipp
  • Investor
  • Appleton, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Appleton, WI
Replied May 31 2014, 10:27

Mitch, why did the last sale fail? That seems like a large price drop for a defect free home.

Is that about as good as it gets in your area? Looks like you will barely break even once you figure in maintenance, repairs and cap ex? Also the rents are even a ways off from even 1% of purchase price.

Did you already have an inspection or perform one yourself as It would seem that a defect free property would have more competition from buyers and with you using financing it is not like you have a slam dunk purchase from the seller's perspective either to like your offer more than others. Thank for your insight.

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Dowler
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Replied May 31 2014, 14:37

Sometimes things move slowly but they do move! I wanted to give an update as this Homepath property purchase progresses. The list price for the 1550 sq ft home was $206,900. After a failed sale it was reduced to $174,900. After negotiations we mutually accepted at $169,000 with Fannie Mae paying $5,915 in closing costs. Per my mortgage broker I should get a 5% interest rate. After the mortgage, taxes and insurance this should leave me $308 a month positive cash flow if I use a very conservative $1,400 per month rent. Most likely I will get $1,450 per month as I have another property in the same neighborhood that I just increased rents to this much. The property also comes with new stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, washer and dryer.

Now for the best part, Fannie Mae just put over $12,000 in renovation to the property. It is newly painted on the exterior and interior, new carpets, hardwood floors down stairs, new bathroom fixtures, kitchen cabinets, two car garage. Looking at recent sales for surrounding homes and in addition looking at Zillow we will close with $50,000 equity in the property!!!!

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Dowler
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Replied May 31 2014, 15:20
Originally posted by @Kyle Hipp:
Mitch, why did the last sale fail? That seems like a large price drop for a defect free home.

Is that about as good as it gets in your area? Looks like you will barely break even once you figure in maintenance, repairs and cap ex? Also the rents are even a ways off from even 1% of purchase price.

Did you already have an inspection or perform one yourself as It would seem that a defect free property would have more competition from buyers and with you using financing it is not like you have a slam dunk purchase from the seller's perspective either to like your offer more than others. Thank for your insight.

Kyle I invest in different areas, Washington, Texas, Missouri, and Indiana so far. Texas, Missouri and Indiana are strong cash flow areas with fairly flat appreciation. Washington has weaker cash flow with much stronger appreciation. I don't know the reason for the failed sale. Isn't that information proprietary? I always, always hire a vetted, licensed inspector and will have the inspection scheduled as soon as the office reopens Monday. We have our share of flippers and investors here but the Homepath option seems to have not been noticed by many investors. There were changes in December that improved Homepath for Investors. Positive cash flow allowing for maintenance and an 8% vacancy rate will be $100 to $150 per month. The big immediate draw for me is the $30,000 plus immediate equity combined with our appreciating market. This really pumps up the Internal Rate of Return to 26.5% using the more conservative $1,400 per month rent (most likely I will rent for $1,450).

I could have purchased a property for $61,500 with the same square footage in Birmingham, AL with an IRR of a little less at 24% that would have cost me about $3,000 more to close on. The cash flow would have been stronger at $245 a month but it would have zero found equity at full retail price and experience little in appreciation. If I sell in 3 - 5 years which property will give the greater return?

Over 3 years the Birmingham property will return $8,820 in rents and little if any appreciation. Now the Washington property will return $3,600 in rents and $30,000 in equity even if it appreciates zero over the next 3 years for a total of $33,600 and costing me $3,000 less in cash to close. Even if both properties appreciate at the same rate the higher priced property will still generate a greater return because of it's much greater price point.

I am happy with my decision to include both strong cash flow and strong appreciation type properties in my portfolio. I do recommend starting your portfolio with a concentration on strong cash flow to help support your stronger appreciating properties you may or may not want to add later.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Hipp
  • Investor
  • Appleton, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Appleton, WI
Replied May 31 2014, 21:53

Thanks again for the insight Mitch. I am in the Fox Cities in Wisconsin so I have a relatively stable market but more geared towards cashflow than appreciation. I have never banked on appreciation for an investment and that might be a product of my market. I feel I can control the cashflow side much easier. As for appreciation I tend to force it by purchasing properties that need repair and updates thus creating my equity in that fashion. I am not very familiar with "Homepath" but is sounds like Hud homes in my area.The caveat with Hud or any government owned home is that a sale can fall through for a major repair issue and they are not bound to disclose that information whereas a normal seller is legally bound to disclose issues that they are aware of or have been informed of. That is why I was curious if you had any information on the reason the last sale fell through. I am always of the belief that someone knows something I don't so I will ask the neighbors xabout any inforation they might have as well as looking into other avenues. I buy houses that I believe I have instant equity in as well however I also feel that a home sold, especially on the open market is sold pretty much at market value as it would have sold to someone else if the property is visible to many.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you, I look forward to updates on the progress :)

User Stats

Votes
Ramon Jenkins
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee County, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee County, WI
Replied Jun 1 2014, 11:17

@Kyle Hipp just fyi

Go to homepath.com

( I am not very familiar with "Homepath" )

Currently 4 available properties listed for Appleton

Currently 12 properties listed for Outagamie County

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Dowler
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Replied Jun 8 2014, 15:49

OUCH, so the inspection revealed that the contractor for Fannie Mae painted over a great deal of rot in the siding of the building. Also the crawl space was ripped apart by animals. All the insulation under the floor and around pipes and duct work was torn off and spread around. Fannie Mae said they would fix everything as part of the deal but I decided to move on to another opportunity that was ready to go now and provided stronger cash flow but not as much equity.

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Dowler
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Replied Jun 17 2014, 15:47

I owe an update here! I have a licensed inspector look at the property. He found a couple of BIG problems. Much of the siding was rotted and the Fannie Mae contractor had simply painted over it. The crawl space had all the insulation under the floor, around the pipes and duct work torn down by animals. There was also a carpenter ant problem.

Fannie Mae is going to completely reside the house and fix everything at the agreed upon price but I decided to move on. I already had other investments in the queue and decided not to spend my time dealing with repairs of this magnitude.

This was a good experience but I will obtain much greater cash flow with other investments although less potential equity increases.

User Stats

Votes
Scot Howat
  • Investor
  • Hoffman Estates, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hoffman Estates, IL
Replied Nov 5 2014, 14:49

Is this program discontinued?

User Stats

Votes
Donald Dienst
  • Engineer
  • Lincoln Park, NJ
Votes |
  • Engineer
  • Lincoln Park, NJ
Replied Feb 13 2017, 14:38

It is now. 

From what I can tell in September of 2016 the homepath mortgage became the homeready mortgage and they removed support for investors. Now there is a requirement that you can not own any residential property in the USA to get a homepath mortgage.  Apparently, I snuck in under the wire closing my loan in July.

I was using the personal residence loan program but homepath allowed you, at that time, to own other rental property as well. 

Not anymore.

--DDDienst