Cash vs Loan buyer- which do you prefer?

Cash vs Loan buyer- which do you prefer?

New to Real Estate · AZ · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 2 votes

Hello,
For those who have sold real estate, do you prefer cash buyers? Or if a loan offer for your property is x amount higher would you take that instead? How much weight do you put on a cash offer?  I am considering all the + and - to investing using cash or investing using loans… Thanks! Renee

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
1y
Quote from @Renee I.:

Hello,
For those who have sold real estate, do you prefer cash buyers? Or if a loan offer for your property is x amount higher would you take that instead? How much weight do you put on a cash offer?  I am considering all the + and - to investing using cash or investing using loans… Thanks! Renee

Personally, I like cash buyers for the speed and certainty, but the price has to make sense. A lower offer just because it’s cash doesn’t always cut it. If a financed buyer comes in stronger and they’re well-qualified, I’m absolutely open to that.

Cash is great for avoiding delays and headaches, especially if you’re on a timeline or the deal’s tight. But most of us are in this to maximize returns, so I’d weigh the spread between offers more than the funding source alone. Strong financing and a solid track record can still win.


Mom and pops usually do the all cash deals but investors usually finance, and for good reason. You can only make your own money go so far. 
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Renee I.:

    Hello,
    For those who have sold real estate, do you prefer cash buyers? Or if a loan offer for your property is x amount higher would you take that instead? How much weight do you put on a cash offer?  I am considering all the + and - to investing using cash or investing using loans… Thanks! Renee

    Personally, I like cash buyers for the speed and certainty, but the price has to make sense. A lower offer just because it’s cash doesn’t always cut it. If a financed buyer comes in stronger and they’re well-qualified, I’m absolutely open to that.

    Cash is great for avoiding delays and headaches, especially if you’re on a timeline or the deal’s tight. But most of us are in this to maximize returns, so I’d weigh the spread between offers more than the funding source alone. Strong financing and a solid track record can still win.


    Mom and pops usually do the all cash deals but investors usually finance, and for good reason. You can only make your own money go so far. 
  • New to Real Estate · AZ · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Thank you Dominic. I appreciate these insights :)

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    IMHO the cash offer has to be quick close with very few if any contingencies.  I’ve found many cash offers include so many outs they aren’t really even an offer. They plan from day 1 to get you under contract at/near list and then regrade to the price they really want to pay. Assuming they aren’t really wholesalers. 

    A 7 day quick close is probably worth a 1% discount over a well qualified 30 day loan purchase. 

  • New to Real Estate · AZ · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Thank you @Bill B. great to understand seller experience and desires in a transaction. I appreciate it :)

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 261 posts · 170 votes
    1y

    If you are comfortable your property will appraise with no issue and is better than the cash one, I would take the chance with the financing offer. Most always, cash buyers want steep discounts that don't justify accepting.

  • New to Real Estate · AZ · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Thank you for this @Gustavo Delgado. 
    I am seeing that if a seller is not in a hurry they are willing to wait for a best offer (loan or otherwise) and when they are in a pinch or have already invested too much $, then they will sacrifice a better offer because getting the time back is worth more. Gives rise to the phrase “Time is money.” For better or for worse. Haha

  • Mason WeissBusiness Member
    Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 523 posts · 239 votes
    1y

    Hey Renee, Cash usually is one of the best terms that will help beat out other equivalent offers especially on a competitive property. The quick close is also helpful for most sellers. I equate it usually to an extra $5-10K of value depending on the seller. My clients who can do both are prepared to offer cash on a competitive property and then finance if the numbers work and they are not in a rush with the seller.

  • New to Real Estate · AZ · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Thanks @Mason Weiss 

    I see- they use them both as tools vs strictly one. Also good to know on ballpark numbers. I appreciate it :)

    • Mason WeissBusiness Member
      Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 523 posts · 239 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Renee I.:

      Thanks @Mason Weiss 

      I see- they use them both as tools vs strictly one. Also good to know on ballpark numbers. I appreciate it :)

      Yep! Really depends on the priorities of the seller. I always like to keep cash in hand ready to go so I’d lean financing so I can be ready for the next deal that might require me to be all cash.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.