Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sean Petrash
Votes |
Newb looking for wisdom

Sean Petrash
Posted Aug 28 2024, 14:43

Hi all! I'm a travel RN with a few flips under my belt, one commercial property that turned out well, and am looking to purchase a property in New Braunfels, Tx to live in for potentially 6 months out of the year. I thought it might be a good idea to make it an STR while we're on the road as the area does pretty well from I've heard. I haven't looked into the air DNA app to confirm this, but I know it to be true.

I've interviewed a few realtor/investors. I have a mentor in the game that is very successful as a yay or nay resource. I just started applying for lending and have excellent credit with zero debt so it shouldn't be a problem. 

One of the realtors was skeptical that I can get into this market for $200k, and, I agree, it's a bit of a stretch, but with the pay cut I'll be taking going down to Texas, that's about as much of a mortgage as we can afford on one income. Then, hopefully, recoup some of that cost when we're on the road. 

I may have to drive for dollars and scout out my own deal, but the problem with that is all of the stipulations that come with the STR restrictions. New Braunfels doesn't play. I've heard that as long as I'm outside of the city limits I should do ok. Other, lesser returns would be furnished finders, or just a straight 6 month lease with a tenant.

My question is, does this sound like a good plan to start off our real estate investment journey with as little debt as possible? What else should I be thinking about doing, or doing at this point? Thanks ya'll!!! :D

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Lewis
Pro Member
#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 28 2024, 18:05

Hey Sean - I actually have a deal in New Braunfels closing in a few weeks. Why try to qualify for a deal off your W2 income if you are going to STR it? It seems like a DSCR loan would be a better option to qualify for a higher-priced deal if AirDNA supports it.

User Stats

Votes
Sean Petrash
Votes |
Replied Aug 29 2024, 04:39

Thanks Tanner! 

Right! So, I didn't even know what a dscr loan was until you brought it up, so thank you for that! It looks like those loans require 20% down, and I've been guided as a sort of philosophy, to use as little down as I can do that I can deploy more capital into other projects. 

And to clarify, I don't want a loan more than $200k because that's all I can afford if everything goes south. It's a way of hedging my bet using as little cash as possible. I could get a 3% FHA loan, pay on it for a year while forcing appreciation, then refi out the appreciation and the PMI.

That was my thought process anyway. Does that make sense? 

thanka again!

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements