Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Vazquez
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Purchasing the company (LLC or Corporation) that holds the property

Jorge Vazquez
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Aug 13 2024, 17:19

I've had great success this year by purchasing the company (LLC or Corporation) that holds the property rather than buying the property directly. This strategy has allowed me to save on closing costs, secure favorable financing terms, and refinance almost immediately, all while minimizing my down payment. It's been a game-changer in my investment approach, and I've completed two deals this way already. I highly recommend it to those of you who haven't tried it yet. I'd love to hear from other investors who have used this method. What's your experience like? Are there any challenges you've encountered?

Looking forward to your feedback!

• Broker Florida (#SL3334101)

Graystone Investment Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 13 2024, 19:40

Hello, I'm glad you have had success doing this!!! I would caution that any outstanding litigation or taxes would follow the LLC if something went unreported or paid. If someone had an incident on the LLCs property in the past and decides to sue, you may have an issue. Same for any unpaid taxes in the LLCs past. Do your due diligence when purchasing an LLC.

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Vazquez
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Aug 14 2024, 06:38

The real savings and benefits come when you're purchasing an existing LLC or corporation that already holds the property, rather than forming a new entity and buying the property directly. By buying the company, you can avoid certain costs like mortgage reapplication fees, title insurance renewals, and some legal fees. Plus, the seasoning of the company can make it easier to secure better credit terms or refinance quickly since lenders often view established entities more favorably.

One of the biggest advantages, though, is the flexibility in negotiating the down payment. Instead of the typical 20-25% for DSCR loans, you and the seller can dictate the terms, even incorporating an equity-sharing agreement for added flexibility. This allows you to put down less upfront, freeing up cash flow to improve the property. Then, with those improvements, you can refinance and potentially cash out all your equity. It's a strategy that not only saves money but also maximizes the property's value and your overall returns. Hope this clears things up!

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Vazquez
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Aug 14 2024, 06:39
Quote from @Stetson Oates:

Hello, I'm glad you have had success doing this!!! I would caution that any outstanding litigation or taxes would follow the LLC if something went unreported or paid. If someone had an incident on the LLCs property in the past and decides to sue, you may have an issue. Same for any unpaid taxes in the LLCs past. Do your due diligence when purchasing an LLC.

Hey, thanks for the feedback—I really appreciate it! I’ve been in the real estate game for over 20 years and have found that with the right due diligence, buying the company holding the property can be a solid move. I get the concerns about liability and title insurance, but I’ve had success by thoroughly vetting the company’s history and securing protections like hold harmless agreements. Plus, the immediate refinance opportunities and savings on other closing costs have been real game-changers for me. Of course, this strategy isn't one-size-fits-all, and I'm always open to learning more from others’ experiences. Anyone else tried this approach? Would love to hear how it’s worked for you!