Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Orlundo Hubbard
Pro Member
Votes |
First Steps When Raising A Fund

Orlundo Hubbard
Pro Member
Posted Jul 23 2024, 17:01

Hey y'all! Orlundo from Austin, Texas! I have a hyper-focus on raising a fund to buy commercial properties and I was wondering what you all suggest the first step to take would be. 

I've heard the first thing that I should have my attention on is finding a good deal. Also, is no money down really something that is possible?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 23 2024, 18:36
Quote from @Orlundo Hubbard:

Hey y'all! Orlundo from Austin, Texas! I have a hyper-focus on raising a fund to buy commercial properties and I was wondering what you all suggest the first step to take would be. 

I've heard the first thing that I should have my attention on is finding a good deal. Also, is no money down really something that is possible?

Thanks!

First step is to have 5 years+ of experience in buying, managing and selling commercial properties. You can get that experience by working for a commercial real estate developer / owner / operator

User Stats

Votes
Orlundo Hubbard
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 23 2024, 19:03
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

Thanks!

First step is to have 5 years+ of experience in buying, managing and selling commercial properties. You can get that experience by working for a commercial real estate developer / owner / operator

So, there's no way I can start on my own? Even if I have good deals?

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 24 2024, 07:39

Thanks!

you can try, but I can tell you people who have been doing this for 20+ years also have really good deals and are struggling to raise money right now for deals, and they are also contributing a significant amount of money to the deal. 

I always use the airplane example - would you fly in a plane wiht someone who has never flown before even if they say "I have a good plane". you mayhave good deals, but how do you manage them? Not being a pessimist being a realist as you can find 10 gurus who will charge you $10k to tell you how easy it is, but its not.

User Stats

Votes
Orlundo Hubbard
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 24 2024, 07:55

Thanks!

you can try, but I can tell you people who have been doing this for 20+ years also have really good deals and are struggling to raise money right now for deals, and they are also contributing a significant amount of money to the deal. 

I always use the airplane example - would you fly in a plane wiht someone who has never flown before even if they say "I have a good plane". you mayhave good deals, but how do you manage them? Not being a pessimist being a realist as you can find 10 gurus who will charge you $10k to tell you how easy it is, but its not.

Gotcha. Yeah I’ve heard how hard it is to raise money right now. But, I’m not looking for easy, I’m looking for possible. Not really concerned with how long it takes, I plan on doing this for good no matter how long it takes.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 26 2024, 05:00

Thanks!

Gotcha. Yeah I’ve heard how hard it is to raise money right now. But, I’m not looking for easy, I’m looking for possible. Not really concerned with how long it takes, I plan on doing this for good no matter how long it takes.

How many deals have you done on your own? I think proving the concept with your own capital is extremely powerful.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Gordy
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 26 2024, 14:56

@Orlundo Hubbard What is your experience with commercial properties? In other words, what do you bring to the table for investors to back you? 

User Stats

Votes
Orlundo Hubbard
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 26 2024, 18:33
Quote from @Jordan Moorhead:

Thanks!

How many deals have you done on your own? I think proving the concept with your own capital is extremely powerful.

Totally! That makes a lot of sense. I'm currently wholesaling right now. But, I'm looking to buy and hold to build more of a track record.

User Stats

Votes
Orlundo Hubbard
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 26 2024, 18:34
Quote from @Aaron Gordy:

@Orlundo Hubbard What is your experience with commercial properties? In other words, what do you bring to the table for investors to back you? 

I've been under the impression that a good deal makes all of the difference. Am I wrong for this thought process?

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Gordy
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 27 2024, 03:39

@Orlundo Hubbard

What has been your experience raising money using this method? It has been my experience that investors want to know credibility, capability and expertise before they invest with their hard earned capital. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 27 2024, 05:36

@Orlundo Hubbard

That is from all the gurus

If you have a good deal the money will come and continue to flow. That is not true

Also How confident are you it’s a good deal? What happens if it was not and you lose $. You think people will believe you for the next one?

User Stats

Votes
Orlundo Hubbard
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 27 2024, 06:42

@Orlundo Hubbard

That is from all the gurus

If you have a good deal the money will come and continue to flow. That is not true

Also How confident are you it’s a good deal? What happens if it was not and you lose $. You think people will believe you for the next one?

So the syndication model is not true? It's not possible without working under someone first?

User Stats

Votes
Orlundo Hubbard
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 27 2024, 06:43
Quote from @Aaron Gordy:

@Orlundo Hubbard

What has been your experience raising money using this method? It has been my experience that investors want to know credibility, capability and expertise before they invest with their hard earned capital. 

Gotcha. I see.Thank you!

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
The Easiest Way to Save 150 hours & $5,000 / year Stop the busy work and start growing your RE business with market leading APY & automated finances

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 27 2024, 08:14

Thanks!

Totally! That makes a lot of sense. I'm currently wholesaling right now. But, I'm looking to buy and hold to build more of a track record.

Househacking has been the easiest low money down way to get started for me

User Stats

Votes
Orlundo Hubbard
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 27 2024, 08:21

Thanks!

Househacking has been the easiest low money down way to get started for me

That's definitely one method that I am looking into.