Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Emmanuel Ola
Votes |
Deciding Between Hard Money Loan and Conventional Loan: Need Guidance

Emmanuel Ola
Posted Jul 20 2024, 02:04

I found a good deal that I really like for $160K, which has excellent cash flow potential. Initially, I was planning for a quick sale and contacted my private money lender for a hard money loan. My plan was to put down 35% while she would cover the remaining 65%.

However, the seller has requested to be in escrow for 45-60 days so that he can complete a 1031 exchange and use the proceeds to buy another house within that period. Given this new information, I'm considering whether it might make more sense to opt for a conventional loan instead of a hard money loan, due to the lower interest rates associated with conventional loans. Alternatively, I could stick with the hard money loan and refinance into a conventional loan later.

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice on this decision.

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Jul 20 2024, 05:07

If you can get the conventional loan, go for it! It will save you a couple thousand dollars in financing costs. No reason to do this hard money loan if you have a lot of time. Save yourself from the HM rate and points plus the cost of refinancing later.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 20 2024, 05:10

@Emmanuel Ola

If you can get a longer term conventional loan I would choose that over a hard money loan every time - this is of course assuming the hard money loan has higher interest rate as well as a shorter maturity date

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Emmanuel Ola
Votes |
Replied Jul 20 2024, 05:36
Quote from @Ray Hage:

If you can get the conventional loan, go for it! It will save you a couple thousand dollars in financing costs. No reason to do this hard money loan if you have a lot of time. Save yourself from the HM rate and points plus the cost of refinancing later.

Thanks so much for responding. Will tell my agent that I will be switching to conventional. 

User Stats

Votes
Emmanuel Ola
Votes |
Replied Jul 20 2024, 05:36
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@Emmanuel Ola

If you can get a longer term conventional loan I would choose that over a hard money loan every time - this is of course assuming the hard money loan has higher interest rate as well as a shorter maturity date

Thanks so much for responding. Will tell my agent that I will be switching to conventional.

User Stats

Votes
Anderson S.
Lender
#3 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
Lender
#3 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Aug 19 2024, 06:14
Quote from @Emmanuel Ola:

I found a good deal that I really like for $160K, which has excellent cash flow potential. Initially, I was planning for a quick sale and contacted my private money lender for a hard money loan. My plan was to put down 35% while she would cover the remaining 65%.

However, the seller has requested to be in escrow for 45-60 days so that he can complete a 1031 exchange and use the proceeds to buy another house within that period. Given this new information, I'm considering whether it might make more sense to opt for a conventional loan instead of a hard money loan, due to the lower interest rates associated with conventional loans. Alternatively, I could stick with the hard money loan and refinance into a conventional loan later.

How did this turn out Emmanuel?

User Stats

Votes
Emmanuel Ola
Votes |
Replied Aug 19 2024, 07:57
Quote from @Anderson S.:
Quote from @Emmanuel Ola:

How did this turn out Emmanuel?

I eventually used a DSCR loan. Will close in few days.