Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Meaghan Lugo
  • Florida
Votes |
To Sell or Rent a Condo in 55+

Meaghan Lugo
  • Florida
Posted Jun 26 2024, 08:57

My husband and I will be taking my in-laws into our home due to health issues. They have a paid off Condo (1/1.5) in a 55+ community, not the most desirable area so worth approximately $100-115k. We will need to mortgage the condo or sell it in order to outfit our home (and my brother-in-laws home) for my in-laws to live privately and comfortably. What would you do? Facts to consider: The condo is in my husbands name, has been for about 5 years so the capital gains taxes would be ours to pay upon sale. Property Taxes $1200 annually which we've been paying. HOA $325 monthly. Conservatively, rent would be about $1000-1200 monthly based on our research. We do have 4 other properties we rent with significant equity so using equity from one of those is on the table as well. This would allow us to just rent the condo without placing any financing on it, or to 1031 the funds from the sale of the condo and still have the needed funds to complete the work on our homes to accommodate them. Lastly, our DTI is maxed out per every lender we've spoken to recently as all the properties are mortgaged in our personal name. So we'd be looking at DSCR or other funding that doesn't consider our personal DTI. Ideas? What are we not thinking about? Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Morello
Agent
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Jun 26 2024, 13:33

Getting financing on condos in general these days is nearly impossible, let alone a 55+ condo. And selling it will be challenging as well as the 55+ condo market is flooded here in South FL. Tons of competition. That said, I think renting it out is your best option. You should always have a tenant as you're not only serving the 55 and over community (which will continue to grow), but the lower income demographic as well, which is needed. Just be aware of potential special assessments that may be in the works or could potentially come about, and factor in continued increases to the monthly COA fee. So, give yourself enough room to cover future increases with how much rent you charge. 

User Stats

Votes
Meaghan Lugo
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Florida
Replied Jun 26 2024, 13:37
Quote from @Joe Morello:

Getting financing on condos in general these days is nearly impossible, let alone a 55+ condo. And selling it will be challenging as well as the 55+ condo market is flooded here in South FL. Tons of competition. That said, I think renting it out is your best option. You should always have a tenant as you're not only serving the 55 and over community (which will continue to grow), but the lower income demographic as well, which is needed. Just be aware of potential special assessments that may be in the works or could potentially come about, and factor in continued increases to the monthly COA fee. So, give yourself enough room to cover future increases with how much rent you charge. 

Thank you. Association president is a family friend so we hope to get clear information on all things association before taking any steps. Appreciate the feedback!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Jun 27 2024, 07:41

Hi there @Meaghan Lugo, I'd probably lean towards selling it based on all the info you have given but @Joe Morello makes a good point. There are a lot of condos on the market right now and I expect there to be a lot more in the near future. So you could try selling now and see how much you can get (and if it is worth it to you). If you can rent it out for only $1000, I don't think the numbers will make much sense especially if you will need to finance it. Even at 7%, I feel the numbers to be a bit tight. Which area/city is the condo in? 

User Stats

Votes
Meaghan Lugo
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Florida
Replied Jun 27 2024, 08:45

@Ray Hage I hear you. The interest rates are tough. It’s in Lauderdale Lakes area. 

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Jun 27 2024, 12:34
Quote from @Meaghan Lugo:

@Ray Hage I hear you. The interest rates are tough. It’s in Lauderdale Lakes area. 

Oh ok yea not the best over there. If you want to put it on the market at some point, I'd be happy to help. I am mainly an investor but also a realtor/lender as well. If you plan to put it on the market, I would say better to do it sooner rather than later. I have a few clients that have asked me about buying investment condos and I generally tell them to not consider it vs a house/multifamily

User Stats

Votes
Meaghan Lugo
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Florida
Replied Jun 27 2024, 13:25

Thank you. Yes, If we were looking to buy another investment right now we definitely wouldn’t buy this, but since we technically already own it we wanted to weigh all options. 

User Stats

Votes
Joe Morello
Agent
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Jun 28 2024, 06:21
Quote from @Meaghan Lugo:
Quote from @Joe Morello:

Thank you. Association president is a family friend so we hope to get clear information on all things association before taking any steps. Appreciate the feedback!

Great. Definitely see what's going on with the COA and make sure they have all of their ducks in a row with regard to reserves and proper budgeting...Most don't. And I see it's in Lauderdale Lakes, which is probably the most saturated area in South Florida for B-D class condos. I get sent fractured condo deals all the time that are located in Lauderdale Lakes. So, unless you're willing to take a significant discount to get rid of it as there will be tons of competition, hopefully the numbers work to rent it out. If you try to sell, offering seller financing could give you a leg up. Something to consider. Best of luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jun 28 2024, 06:36

If it isn't in the most desirable area-does that mean it is in a bad area or just not in a A class area? Honestly if your DTI are at the limit already and your parents need the money, sell it.

User Stats

Votes
Allan C.
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Jun 28 2024, 22:58

@Meaghan Lugo I suggest doing some research on national and regional age demographics over the next 10, 20 and 30 yrs. This would be a data point I’d find useful to determine if I hold onto a 55+ property. You can then determine the best time to sell based on your own personal situation as well as macro supply/demand factors at the time you wish to sell. Alternatively you may determine it’s best to hold.

User Stats

Votes
Meaghan Lugo
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Florida
Replied Jun 29 2024, 06:34

Thank you. @Allan C. looking at the data is always a smart idea.