Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Leon Lee
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Seeking Advice on Setting Up a Revocable Living Trust in GA

Leon Lee
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Jun 22 2024, 09:04

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to set up a revocable living trust. My goal is to ensure that if anything unfortunate happens to me before my daughter turns 18, all my properties won’t go through probate and get frozen for up to two years before she can access them.

I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice:

1. Estate Planning Lawyer Recommendations: Can anyone recommend a good estate planning lawyer in Georgia? Is it essential to have a local lawyer to set up the trust correctly?
  2. Online Services for Trust Setup: Has anyone used online services for setting up a trust? If so, what was your experience?
  3. Asset Protection through LLCs: Some lawyers I've consulted mentioned a package that includes both probate avoidance and asset protection. They suggested putting my properties in 2-3 LLCs and then placing these LLCs in a revocable living trust. Does this strategy effectively contain potential damages (e.g., from lawsuits) within the specific LLC?
  4. Protection from Nursing Home Costs: They also mentioned concerns about Uncle Sam taking my assets to cover nursing home costs. Which part of a revocable living trust can protect me from this?

I’m looking forward to your insights and recommendations. Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards, Lee

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 22 2024, 09:44

Legalzoom would do it buy if you want to do consultation etc  does this help
https://sperrlaw.com/estate-planning/revocable-living-trust/

User Stats

Votes
Matt Martin
Property Manager
Votes |
Property Manager
Replied Jun 24 2024, 08:35

Don't cheap out on this. You don't want a problem to arise after you've passed. Each county is different when it comes to probate, and the laws are changing all the time.  Brian Douglas has a lot of great advice about asset protection and taking care of children through estates. You don't want everything to pass to them when they turn 18, however, you do want them to be able to access funds for education or professional use. He can help you plan your estate and structure a trust so that you and your loved ones are protected. Check him out

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Leon Lee
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jun 24 2024, 12:23
Quote from @Matt Martin:

Don't cheap out on this. You don't want a problem to arise after you've passed. Each county is different when it comes to probate, and the laws are changing all the time.  Brian Douglas has a lot of great advice about asset protection and taking care of children through estates. You don't want everything to pass to them when they turn 18, however, you do want them to be able to access funds for education or professional use. He can help you plan your estate and structure a trust so that you and your loved ones are protected. Check him out

Hi Matt,

I actually called Brian and was very impressed with his team member Scott's knowledge regarding living trust and asset protection. I’m not trying to cut costs, as we all know how important this can be. However, I feel their quote is a little pricy to me. 

I have been referred to another firm previously that charges around $1200, although they have a backlog of over 4 months.

Thank you again for your information!

Lee

User Stats

Votes
Matt Martin
Property Manager
Votes |
Property Manager
Replied Jun 24 2024, 14:24

Thanks for following up and sharing with me. Good luck!