Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sam Booth
Votes |
Duplex interest rate 8.25% good?

Sam Booth
Posted Jun 19 2024, 19:21

I am getting quoted 8.25% interest on a duplex with conventional loan and 25% down. Does that sound good or not? No points, not sure if it's worth buying down since rates may fall?

User Stats

Votes
AJ Wong
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Replied Jun 19 2024, 20:42
Quote from @Sam Booth:

I am getting quoted 8.25% interest on a duplex with conventional loan and 25% down. Does that sound good or not? No points, not sure if it's worth buying down since rates may fall?

With 25% down conventional (full income verification) even with 2+ units rates should be healthier..I wouldn’t suggest investing on the rate so much as the quality of property and analysis. If it ‘works’ at 8% it will work at 6% but it will be a lot more competitive for buyers when rates drop further.. Check in with @Joseph Chiofalo for a quick second lender look. Should be able to reduce the rate or similar terms but with less down. 

Good luck!  

Fathom Realty  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Sam Booth
Votes |
Replied Jun 19 2024, 20:43
Quote from @AJ Wong:
Quote from @Sam Booth:

With 25% down conventional (full income verification) even with 2+ units rates should be healthier..I wouldn’t suggest investing on the rate so much as the quality of property and analysis. If it ‘works’ at 8% it will work at 6% but it will be a lot more competitive for buyers when rates drop further.. Check in with @Joseph Chiofalo for a quick second lender look. Should be able to reduce the rate or similar terms but with less down. 

Good luck!  

Thank you! My credit is 800 so it was surprising. Where do you think a good rate is today on duplex?
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 19 2024, 21:07

Hi Sam,

It's hard to say without looking at the specifics (DTI, loan amount, investment/primary, etc), but it sounds like it could be lower given your good credit. Perhaps worth comparing with something else

User Stats

Votes
Devin Powers
  • DFW Texas
Votes |
  • DFW Texas
Replied Jun 19 2024, 21:10

Rate will of course depend on numerous factors but it’s always worth taking a second look because you can probably find better than 8.25% for a conventional loan even on a duplex. PM me if you want to look at other options!

User Stats

Votes
Sam Booth
Votes |
Replied Jun 19 2024, 21:56
Quote from @Ko Kashiwagi:

Hi Sam,

It's hard to say without looking at the specifics (DTI, loan amount, investment/primary, etc), but it sounds like it could be lower given your good credit. Perhaps worth comparing with something else

They are using Rocket Mortgage and can close in about 17 days. It's for a duplex (no personal use) DTI and everything is good. In California. Would you have a better rate? Only thing is she's about to order the appraisal.

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 19 2024, 22:07

Happy to take a look, feel free to DM

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Chiofalo
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Votes |
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Replied Jun 20 2024, 06:38

Hi Sam, 

Where is the property located and how is your credit? 

Are you using the property as a primary residence or investment?  Assuming credit is healthy there are lenders that will offer more favorable terms. 

User Stats

Votes
Sam Booth
Votes |
Replied Jun 20 2024, 06:39
Quote from @Joseph Chiofalo:

Hi Sam, 

Where is the property located and how is your credit? 

Are you using the property as a primary residence or investment?  Assuming credit is healthy there are lenders that will offer more favorable terms. 

She's offering thus at no points but credit is 800 and it's an investment with tenants currently living in both units 

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Hyman
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • CPA
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • CPA
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Jun 20 2024, 10:38

You may want to shop around. Get quotes from multiple lenders to ensure you're getting a competitive rate. 

Negotiate by using your credit score, down payment, and comparison quotes as leverage.

Also, a mortgage broker can help find the best rate tailored to your situation. Consider speaking to one.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jun 20 2024, 10:49

Owner occupied? Seems high.

Investor loan? Seems ok.

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#5 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
Replied Jun 20 2024, 16:16

Check other lenders, it wouldn't surprise me if the underwriting is stellar but the rate is higher than expected. The economy is crunching right now, make no mistake about it. Wall st vs main street is wide, and it's going to get wider before it tightens.