Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tel Cyg
Votes |
Looking for a DSCR loan provider

Tel Cyg
Posted Jun 16 2024, 10:47

Hi all,

This is my first post! I am a first time home buyer looking to purchase an out of state investment property through a newly formed LLC (I am based in NYC, looking to buy in Ohio). I am specifically looking to rent out to section 8. I have a high credit score, good income, and money in the bank, but I have been having a difficult time finding a DSCR lender I feel like I can trust. I'd really prefer to hear from those that have gone through a similar process as me and get recommendations for lenders to look into? I would love to purchase ASAP but don't want to rush through this process especially since it is my first time. The purchase price should be under 100k (around 80k or so) and I am not looking to put more than 20% down as I'd love to purchase more than one property this year.

Happy to provide any additional information. Please throw any advice / recommendations my way - I'd appreciate it so much! Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Doug Smith
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jun 16 2024, 13:36

When you say "first time home buyer", I want to clarify that you currently do not own a primary residence...or any property, correct? Dodd Frank was very specific about lenders verifying homeowners' income when they purchase a home. It is true that does not apply to investment property, but what happened was that first time home buyers that did not qualify for a home loan were trying to circumvent that Dodd Frank rule by saying "oh, this is a rental property" (wink wink) and then move into it...basically creating a no-income verification loan. The CFPB doesn't believe that you would buy a rental before you would buy a residence, so they gave pushback on lending to guarantors that don't currently own a property. Most lenders won't do it. I've seen several scenarios where it made sense to rent instead of buying a primary while buying a rental home...such as the Manhattan attorney that rented but wanted to be part of an LLC buying a duplex in FL for rental purposes. That being said, most lenders don't want to tangle with the CFPB and most won't risk it by lending to a guarantor that does not currently own a home. Please clarify if you currently own a property or not...from reading your post it appears that you might not.

User Stats

Votes
Tel Cyg
Votes |
Replied Jun 16 2024, 13:41

Hey, thanks for the reply! I currently do not own a primary residence nor any other type of property. Being that this property will be out of state (I live in NYC, property will be purchased in Ohio), I am hoping this should alleviate any concerns of me moving into the property haha!

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 16 2024, 14:38

Does this help?

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/49/topics/1093867-dscr-...

There are quite a few here on this form so I am sure you can get someone reputed very easily

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 16 2024, 14:40

@Tel Cyg https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/517/topics/1160872-look...

User Stats

Votes
Tel Cyg
Votes |
Replied Jun 16 2024, 20:18

These are awesome links thank you so much!

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 17 2024, 07:13
Quote from @Tel Cyg:

Hi all,

This is my first post! I am a first time home buyer looking to purchase an out of state investment property through a newly formed LLC (I am based in NYC, looking to buy in Ohio). I am specifically looking to rent out to section 8. I have a high credit score, good income, and money in the bank, but I have been having a difficult time finding a DSCR lender I feel like I can trust. I'd really prefer to hear from those that have gone through a similar process as me and get recommendations for lenders to look into? I would love to purchase ASAP but don't want to rush through this process especially since it is my first time. The purchase price should be under 100k (around 80k or so) and I am not looking to put more than 20% down as I'd love to purchase more than one property this year.

Happy to provide any additional information. Please throw any advice / recommendations my way - I'd appreciate it so much! Thanks!

Welcome to BiggerPockets!

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 18 2024, 07:16

Hey Tel, I'd be happy to send you referrals for DSCR lenders.

User Stats

Votes
Anderson S.
Lender
#3 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
Lender
#3 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Jun 27 2024, 06:56

General rule of thumb for hard money is 25% (plus closing costs) down especially if you don't have a lot of experience. We'd be glad to chat through your options.