Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Investing in rental properties

Friedrich Ishola
Posted Apr 29 2024, 12:05

My wife and are just exploring North and South Carolina. We really have no idea where to start but have about 50k in liquid savings and investments. What should should our first steps be?

User Stats

Votes
Jacopo Iasiello
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied Apr 30 2024, 09:35

Start by clarifying your investment objectives. Are you looking for rental properties, fix-and-flip opportunities, or long-term appreciation? Consider factors such as desired return on investment, risk tolerance, and investment timeline.

User Stats

Votes
Freddy Alban
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Apr 30 2024, 20:15

Starting off, it's crucial to pinpoint your investment objectives. Are you aiming for consistent cash flow, or are you more interested in the property's appreciation over time? Consider how involved you want to be in the management of the property. Are you looking for a turnkey property that's ready to rent out immediately, or are you interested in a property that needs work, where you can add value and potentially utilize the BRRRR (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat) method?

The type of property you choose—whether it's a project you can rehab or a ready-to-move-in option—will also influence the type of financing you'll need. Another important consideration is whether you plan to manage the rental yourself or hire a property manager to handle tenant issues and maintenance.

I recommend starting by answering these questions. A common strategy among some of my investors is to acquire at least one rental property per year. This approach can be a good fit if you're not keen on day-to-day tenant and property management tasks.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Chad Pyke
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied May 1 2024, 09:54
Quote from @Friedrich Ishola:

My wife and are just exploring North and South Carolina. We really have no idea where to start but have about 50k in liquid savings and investments. What should should our first steps be?

Friedrich, I'd recommend starting with high level strategy and work your way down to granular tactical action steps which will help you identify where to focus time, energy, and resources.

On a more tactical note, with $50,000 it will likely be very hard to find deals that cashflow in bigger metro markets like Charlotte, Raleigh, or Charleston. I'd recommend looking for markets where that $50,000 could help you do a quick flip to generate more investable capital where you can then get into some buy and hold deals. 

I'm currently working on deals in several markets where this is feasible that are in the path of growth for Charlotte and the Triad areas. Let me know if you'd like to discuss further. We can set up a call. 

User Stats

Votes
Friedrich Ishola
Replied May 1 2024, 10:06

I'd love to chat when you have availability. What's your schedule like Friday?

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 1 2024, 10:51

Where do you live? Are you open to house hacking? 

If you are planning on buying and holding, lenders tend to like you putting 20%-30% down. With $50K, that would be a purchase price of about $250,000 not including closing costs and repairs. That could be a good starting point as to where to buy. 

User Stats

Votes
Chad Pyke
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied May 1 2024, 13:01
Quote from @Friedrich Ishola:

I'd love to chat when you have availability. What's your schedule like Friday?

Morning is better for me as I am on the road in the afternoon. DM me your email/phone number and we can set something up! 

User Stats

Votes
Erick Hunt
  • Contractor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied May 2 2024, 06:19

Hi Friedrich,

As was mentioned a few times, defining your investment objectives is crucial so I'll add educating yourself on those objectives as well. If you can, attend some local REI meetings. Network with other individuals there and I'm sure you'll gain valuable information from them. BP is a great place to start however I feel in person gets you further. If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

User Stats

Votes
Friedrich Ishola
Replied May 2 2024, 09:15

Erick,

I appreciate the advice. I'd love to make it to REI meetings, but my schedule won't allow. I'm not familiar with BP. Can you shine some light on that?