Aaron D Young
Pro Member
Votes |
RE fees to consider if FSBO

Aaron D Young
Pro Member
Posted Apr 11 2024, 17:06

Good afternoon,

I am looking at a FSBO. The seller says they are flexible on the price since they are avoiding RE fees. Are the fees just the 6% RE commission or are there other fees I could consider when making a counter offer. I wondered about offering 80% of asking price. First deal, close to home, B- Niche grade neighborhood. I'd be glad to hear some feedback from a more seasoned investor. Thank you. Aaron

User Stats

Votes
Marci Stein
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 11 2024, 17:10

Yes, it is 5 or 6% for commission Realtor fees, but don’t let that influence you on its own .
make an offer that you believe to be fair for both of you

User Stats

Votes
Aaron D Young
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 11 2024, 19:56

Thank you. I need some reasoning for asking for a lower price. Currently, prrice is outside of 1% rule and I would like it close to there so that the place would meet payments and other expenses along with a positive COCR

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 11 2024, 20:14
Quote from @Aaron D Young:

Thank you. I need some reasoning for asking for a lower price. Currently, prrice is outside of 1% rule and I would like it close to there so that the place would meet payments and other expenses along with a positive COCR

Irrelevant. The only relevant factor is what is the market price in that market. Seller doesn’t care about your motivations. Your analysis goes to finding out the current market price (which includes commissions) and subtracting the commission, typically 5 or 6 percent.

No sane seller would care about your investment returns. That’s telling him to leave money on the table.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron D Young
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 11 2024, 20:36

I probably could have said what I said in a better manner. I agree with your post.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Apr 11 2024, 20:48

Transfer taxes, recordation taxes, lenders title insurance, owners title insurance, closing fees, lender fees, appraisal, survey, deed prep, recording fees, insurance, escrow 

User Stats

Votes
Aaron D Young
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 11 2024, 21:17

Thank you for that list. There are a few on there I'm unfamiliar with.  Probably do me good to research some of these. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 17 2024, 16:20

When it comes to commissions in FSBO deals, it usually means avoiding the real estate agent commission, which can be around 6%. However, in addition to this fee, there may be other costs such as title insurance, property transfer taxes and others. Consider all of these factors when making an offer. The strategy of offering 80% of the asking price may be reasonable, but it is also important to consider market conditions and the condition of the property.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Apr 17 2024, 16:28

When I'm selling as a FSBO, I usually use 6% as my seller's fees number - 5% split between 2 agents and 1% escrow/title fees. If only 1 agent, or none, then adjust accordingly. Once you get into escrow, you can get a sellers net sheet with exact numbers.

But if you're doing your first deal, you should definitely use a buyer's agent, there is too much that can go wrong.

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 17 2024, 16:35

Submit an offer you feel is fair and equitable. I agree that you both should benefit by not having agents involved and I would even go so far as to go even lower since you are taking on more risk by not going through a traditional sale. This is especially true if you don't have a lot of experience in real estate purchases. 

Offer the 80% of asking price. Worst thing the seller can say is no.