FHA appraisal not meeting SS, even though comps say it should

FHA appraisal not meeting SS, even though comps say it should

Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 0 votes

I'm currently in the process of house hacking my first investment property. I'm trying to use FHA to put down the least amount possible.

My appraisal came back and everything was good except for the Self Sufficiency rule. 

The appraiser is quoting estimated rents for my property pretty low, even when looking at HUD as well as the comps the appraiser used.

I have a 3 family. Each until is 1675 sqft with 4BR, 1B. He is estimating rents for each unit at $1850/m. 

When looking at fair market value in my zip code on HUD, 4BR are $1932 for 2022, jumping to $2,255 next year.

I'm also very confused because ALL of the comparable rentals he used in his report are getting higher monthly rents than what he quoted for mine. 

The comps he used for 4BR range from $1900-$2100/m. A 3BR getting $1965/m. 

They ALL have less square footage and some less bedrooms. All other data is the same, as far as building condition, area/neighborhood etc. 
The only comp that matches my estimate at $1850 is a 3BR 1 bath at 967 sqft. Again, my units are 4BR 1 bath at 1675 sqft. 

This will force me to put down $138,000 instead of around $28,000! 

I am being told there is "nothing that can be done" Despite my loan officer and real estate agent trying to get adjustments. 

Does anyone know if I can file a dispute, or should I get in contact with a lawyer? I feel like the appraisers estimate isn't making much sense and he is not willing to discuss it or explain it in more detail. 


Thanks!!



0Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 171 posts · 137 votes
    3y

    This is frustrating!! I’m a loan officer & house hacker, so we run into this all the time.

    1. How far “off” are you from meeting SS? Other things If close, look into cheaper homeowners insurance options & or rate buy-downs to make the numbers work.

    2. Has the LO disputed the appraisal with new comps for the appraiser to consider? It sounds like that might have already happened but just want to make sure.

    The HUD rents will not really help, unfortunately. If the comps truly do support the as-is condition of your property, I'd make sure the LO & agent provide the comps. What I see a lot (and not sure if this is true in your case), is "it's currently a 2 bed but I'm making it a 3 bed" - things like that, the appraiser cannot use.

    I hope this helps!

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Thanks for the info! 

    1- I would need the monthly rate to be $2100 ideally, but could get away with only having to put 10% down if the appraiser would do an adjustment and list each unit at $2000. My LO did look into the insurance rates/buy down options, but the numbers still didn't work.

    2- Yew, new comps were provided. Some things that were mentioned is that "the market doesn't support an adjustment for 3 vs. 4 BR" but when looking at current rents that is not what we're seeing. But again, the comps he used were all higher than what he estimated for mine. I guess that is where I am getting confused. 

    These are all legal, 4BR units. 

    Thanks again!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.