Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michael A.
  • Financial Advisor
Votes |
Is buying a multi-family in Springfield OH a good idea?

Michael A.
  • Financial Advisor
Posted Nov 22 2022, 16:56

Was looking at a multi family in Springfield OH and on paper it looks good and cash flows. The neighborhood has less crime compared to other parts. My worry about Springfield is that it seems like a run down town and stagnant. I want my property to appreciate so I can take the equity in a few years and use it to buy another house. I don’t want to be stuck with a property in a town with no growth. I’ve thought about Dayton or other towns near Columbus. 

Does anybody have any thoughts on Springfield or any good markets for someone who is looking at the $150k range? 

User Stats

Votes
Marshall Leipprandt
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miramar Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miramar Beach, FL
Replied Nov 22 2022, 19:40

@Michael A. Are you out of state or do you live in the area? I think finding appreciation in Springfield will be tough unless it's forced through value-adds. I like Dayton or Columbus more because they have more going for them across the board, but doubt you can find a quality multi up to your standards at $150K in those areas. I would look to house-hack if you are local -or- use this time to build up your financial readiness and see how the next 3-6 months shake out in some of those Midwest markets. No shame in being patient. 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Nov 23 2022, 08:36

@Michael A.
If you are looking for long-term growth, you aren't going to find it in Springfield, OH. I would look at Columbus if you want long-term growth in Ohio. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#3 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#3 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 27 2022, 08:50
Quote from @Michael A.:

Was looking at a multi family in Springfield OH and on paper it looks good and cash flows. The neighborhood has less crime compared to other parts. My worry about Springfield is that it seems like a run down town and stagnant. I want my property to appreciate so I can take the equity in a few years and use it to buy another house. I don’t want to be stuck with a property in a town with no growth. I’ve thought about Dayton or other towns near Columbus. 

Does anybody have any thoughts on Springfield or any good markets for someone who is looking at the $150k range? 

I think Springfield will grow as Columbus continues to take off.

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Quiros
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Los Angeles, Ca
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Los Angeles, Ca
Replied Jul 5 2024, 21:35
Quote from @Michael A.:

Did you ever pull the trigger on this Michael? I recently stumbled upon Springfield and asking myself the same questions