To buy or not to buy? That is the question.

To buy or not to buy? That is the question.

Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 17 votes

After some deals have settled out and debts paid, I'll have 100k to invest in Tampa area.. maybe the surrounding areas like Riverview, Plant City, Brandon or Clearwater, Largo etc. Am I missing something? I run the numbers and a +/-280k SF property (2/2) with 80k down and some left for improvements and an emergency fund.. it's around 950 a month for the mortgage. Home insurance is 180 a month (insane and seems like it's going up by the day).. landscaping 150.. I guess you see where I'm going.. I'm well over $1200 on a place before the rest of the bills are paid. Seems like I'd only make a couple hundred dollars a month being a landlord. I figure if one thing (roof, A/C craps out) I'm screwed that year.


Rents in Brandon, for example are about 1600-1800 for a 2 br unless the property is brand new, modern, upgraded appliances, etc..  then the rents are 2000+ However, my initial purchase price would be more like 325k instead of 280k. What do you think? Is it even worth it?

Side question.. would any of you consider a condo/apartment instead of SF where the expenses/landscaping/insurance is less if the HOA was a reasonable amount? Pros/Cons?

0Reply
30 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Darryl MatthewsPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 143 posts · 49 votes
    4y

    I would consider a condo for STR or Airbnb. I have a condo here in my market that is little hassle and bring a more attractive clientele.

  • Benjamin AakerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brandon, SD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Hi John,
    You're finding out the difficulty in buying single family in the current market. Things are changing with interest rates, but buyers haven't quite caught on yet. It's still very hard to cash flow a SFR with a traditional mortgage right now.
    There are still buyers who can get a low money down loan and feel like they can pay the mortgage, even at higher interest rates. You will have a difficult time competing with that.
    Your options are to put much more down into the deal, which will increase cash flow but decrease your cash on cash return, find a fixer-upper (which effectively is the same as the higher down payment), or consider other property types or locations.
    Lastly, cash flow is not always the great thing everybody thinks. If you are cash flowing even a little on a property, you are also building equity, which is tax-free and something few people give credit to. Build enough equity, take out a line of credit, and you'll get your next property way faster than saving up 100-200 a month alone would. That line of credit would get you the new roof or AC unit you are worried about.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.