Help me structure this deal with siblings living in the property!

Help me structure this deal with siblings living in the property!

Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi BP community,

I have been toying with how I want to structure a family purchase. I have convinced my siblings that we should buy a property (4bd, 4bth) instead of renting and throwing away their ~$2.2K/month.  

Two out of the four of us will move into the property (this would be a single family home), while the other two will  be living abroad (I will be abroad) and would rarely use the property. 

Conundrum: My two siblings living in the property, want to do an even split (making their rent ~$550 each, and $20K down), but I can't wrap my head around this being a "fair split", given that I will not get any benefit and would instead just be subsidizing their cost of living.  

What creative deal structures can you think of for a partnership like this?

Pumped to see your ideas!

What I have thought of: 

    - Occupancy-based split, where someone living in it pays a higher share of the cost for that month based on a set fee

    - Buying the property myself and/or with my other sibling and renting it to them (my other siblings would probably not go for this)

    - Walking - save me the frustration of subsidizing them

0Reply
37 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    @Pedro Garcia

    Rule #1,2 and 3 of real estate - don’t do business with family. Especially in this type of situation.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    @Chris Seveney, sounds like a vote for walk away! Thank you for your response! 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    If two of you will never live in it, split everything 25% with regards to the purchase. The two living there each pay 50% of the market value for rent and utilities.   The money for rent and taxes go into an account and any 'profit' is evenly split 4 ways.  So those living there get some of their rent back.  Basically there are 4 equal owners and the two living there act as tenants.  Any repairs are split evenly.  Write out everything and give the people a chance to back out if you can't agree to the terms before buying it.

    Other option is the two living there go in 50:50 and the two who aren't living there stay out of it.

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    @Theresa Harris, thank you for the suggestion! I like the even split with the occupancy rent payment. 

    I also appreciate the backing out clause for the deal. I do agree it might be also a good idea to help my siblings structure their deal and maintaining my participation in an advisory role to their purchase! thank you!

    To those reading this thread, what do you think about Theresa’s suggestion? Any blind-sides to look out for?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.