Do I need a buyer's agent if I've already found a house?

Do I need a buyer's agent if I've already found a house?

Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 2 votes

I was “looking around” at houses for fun and found a perfect house(as a primary residence) that fits my budget. I am planning to place an offer. Do you recommend I get a buyer’s agent at this stage? Or can I pass the cost savings (by not getting an agent) towards my closing cost?

I do not have much experience in real estate.

0Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Member since 2016 · 680 posts · 644 votes
4y

@Addy Cash

If you don’t have much experience in real estate, I would highly recommend getting a separate buyers agent to represent you. At this point, you don’t know what you don’t know. It’s good to have someone dedicated to protecting your interests and it won’t cost any more than if you were to go it alone.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    4y
    More than likely, the listing agent just makes double the money if you dont have an agent. There's typically no cost savings. They share a portion of their commission with the other agent. They simply keep their entire commission if they dont have to share it. 
  • Real Estate Agent · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Member since 2016 · 680 posts · 644 votes
    4y

    @Addy Cash

    If you don’t have much experience in real estate, I would highly recommend getting a separate buyers agent to represent you. At this point, you don’t know what you don’t know. It’s good to have someone dedicated to protecting your interests and it won’t cost any more than if you were to go it alone.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    Get a realtor especially if you don't have a lot of experience.  Without your own agent, the seller's agent usually double ends the deal and gets all the commission so you won't save any money.

  • Real Estate Agent · West Olive, MI · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Always worth it to have someone in your corner for a second set of eyes.   Also, this is a perfect chance to start growing your team if investing is in your future.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y

    I bought solo from 2002 until last year.  To get on the viewing schedule on my last I had to have an agent so I retained one of my tenants. May as well leep it in house. 

    If you don't have buying experience, a good agent will help you. 

    Once you have the experience, closing costs and other credits are more negotiable buying solo.  Mine averaged 2% of PP until last year.  The typical buyer agent commission is 2.5% in my area. 

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Addy Cash I would say if you have no experience at all grab an agent to rep you and the levels of experience that you and the deal will dictate if you need an agent or not. These are the factors, and I would suggest you get an agent to make sure you do not forget anything, or if you mess something up they'll guide you through the challenge. 

    It is always well worth the price of working with an agent on either side if you are buying or selling (I am bias in this argument as I am a current licensed agent).  

    The McKernan Group4.954 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Russell Brazil Nailed this one so I won't add much to what he said. Also, keep in mind if you are new to the home buying process it does not hurt having someone to help you navigate the process. 

  • Michael HelfantPro Member
    Realtor · Metro Detroit · Member since 2020 · 62 posts · 55 votes
    4y

    Most of us in this thread are agents who are incentivized to have clients use agents. That being said, on the buy side, you don't even pay the commission of the buyer agent, and you truly will get someone who negotiates as a fiduciary in YOUR best interest only. 

    If you reach out directly and use the listing agent as your agent, like everyone else said, they are going to get both sides of the commission rather than just discount to the buyer. While they will sign a contract wherein it states they are supposed to represent you in their best interest, too, for some sometimes there is innate pressure/motive to just get the deal through to close. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Stamford, CT · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 33 votes
    4y

    @Addy Cash I bought my first house unrepresented and did fine but probably left something on the table. You just don’t know what you don’t know… and it’s usually contextual/nuanced. Finding the deal isn’t always the hard part.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.