Take out a loan as a couple? Or by myself?

Take out a loan as a couple? Or by myself?

Investor · Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes

Hi. Should I try to pre-qualify for a loan by myself or with my spouse? We already have a mortgage under both our names in Texas. We would like to buy multi-family in Arizona. I’ve heard you can finance more properties if mortgage only has one person on the loan. Thanks.

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ryan GarrisonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2017 · 234 posts · 83 votes
    4y

    If you can qualify individually: One person. 

    Every. Single. Time.

    Usually, your mortgage guy will tell you to do joint loans...because it is easier for them. 

    I wish I had put all of the loans in my name when I was W-2. I had a great income from my job, and her income was not necessary for the loans. If I had, my wife's credit would be squeaky clean from debt. It would leave her wide open to get loans in just her name with her W-2 later on. 

    It just gives more future flexibility.

    (You are also correct about the federally insured loan limits. I believe you can each have 10.)

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    I knew it . Thanks a bunch @Ryan Garrison

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.