What Trends, News, and Data Do You Pay Attention To!

What Trends, News, and Data Do You Pay Attention To!

Dave MeyerPro Member
Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 224 posts · 826 votes

BP Friends! I'm Dave Meyer -- the data guy around BiggerPockets. We're expanding how we use data both onsite, and in our podcast, youtube, blog, and other content. It's really exciting! At least for me it is, and I hope it is for all of you. 

What we really want to know, is what matters to you all? What news do you pay attention to? Do you look at real estate data regularly? How about general economic, business, or financial news? What information are you trying to obtain to guide your investing decisions? 

We'd really appreciate if you filled out this survey. 

Also if there's anything you want to share or ask, let's get this forum rolling! 

49Reply
246 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Manhattan Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 423 posts · 268 votes
4y

As investors, we are are currently looking at emerging markets based on recent migrations. 

See this reply in the discussion

77 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Manhattan Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 423 posts · 268 votes
    4y

    As investors, we are are currently looking at emerging markets based on recent migrations. 

  • Dave MeyerPro Member
    OP
    Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 224 posts · 826 votes
    4y

    @Jayson Cain very wise! Thanks for sharing. 

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    4y

    Specific to my market I look at Inventory and days on market

  • San Angelo, TX · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 16 votes
    4y

    To chime in with nothing insightful to add... If it's ok @Dave Meyer for those that do add some intelligence to this post, because I'm trying to learn more about data and how to use it to analyze a markets, please add a quick WHY you pay attention to that data and what you interpret out of it. Or is that not the intent of this post, then disregard what I'm asking. :-)


    For example... @Franklin Romine Specifically, what does the inventory and days on the market tell you? I.E. lengthy days on the market tells me that... or lots of inventory tells me that...

    Thanks!!

  • New to Real Estate · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 52 votes
    4y

    Macro: Economic policies (specifically interest rates), Migration trends (state level)

    Micro: Population growth, job growth, residential inventory, days on market, commercial construction, absorption 

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    4y

    I use data for many different things.  I guess when I spoke about inventory I was thinking of... a home I'm going to list For Sale.  We're listing it in a couple weeks.  I look at what else is for sale similar to the home being listed and see there's not much inventory and that tells me I can push the list price up more based on the current inventory available.  

    When we list units for rent... I look at available rentals on CL and Zillow.... I look at available Quantity, Quality and Price.  This tells us how hard we can push rental prices.  How much we can raise rents.

    I use data to put myself on the other side of the table to visualize what consumers in the market are doing, seeing and acting, and then use that info... 

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    The way the comps I look at each day change.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 834 posts · 449 votes
    4y

    Right now, trends seem to cover the gamut. STR's are interesting to follow. This is a great topic to explore.

  • Real Estate Agent · Manchester, NH · Member since 2015 · 160 posts · 148 votes
    4y

    I try to limit my news intake to about 30 minutes a day max. In general I listen and read to a mix of general, business, and financial news, with a higher interest in the financial news.  

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 504 posts · 282 votes
    4y

    I look at national economic policies (inflation & interest rates), local market growth (population/rent/job), inventory behaviors (including absorption) and try to track markets where there are institutional inflows. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    I don't believe any of the news/podcasts/youtube videos/blogs/books/etc out there. I trust my own observations and intuition.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y

    we only use the data our title company sends us weekly which is real not hyperbole.

    its includes the zips i want to know about.

    included in the reports:

    1. average sale price and per sq ft average age as well.

    2. list of all the active new home subdivisions that are currently selling sq ft and price points and owners of same.

    3. on a macro level sales activity is it hot sellers  neutral or buyers market  this data is updated weekly.

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    I really appreciate the videos you've done on the market lately. I'm a local agent and look at the local trends on every listing appointment so I see everything at that scale but appreciate your analysis for the national market.

  • Lender · Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    Market cycle information, status of interest rates, GDP growth/decline in the most popular U.S markets, 10 year treasury, getting accurate assumptions for underwriting, best websites and software's to find off market 

  • Rental Property Investor · MD · Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    Real estate, investing, and trucking.

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 576 posts · 358 votes
    4y

    Currently lumber prices and labor shortages seem to be two big factors in the price of new construction going up fast. I don't just want to know 'what is the cost of the house,' I want some understanding of what is happening to cause that to be the value of the house. 

    I read articles about the large national house builders to see what they are doing. I'm sure they are basing their multi-million dollar decisions on a lot of research. I get clued into their understanding about current trends and their predictions of future demand based on how much land they are buying, where they are buying it, and what size and style of housing they are building.

    I look at financial news. The DOW, NASDAQ, what sectors are doing well, what is languishing. Are we in a bull market, are we in a bear market? The economic impact of current events (COVID.)

  • Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2020 · 88 posts · 101 votes
    4y

    Hey "Data Guy!"

    I tend to stay on top of what's happening in the labor market, although getting ahold of local numbers can be difficult. 

    I check the MLS in my buy box daily and frequently go back to check actual sale prices, not just "asking price." I also look at rentals in the area and try to take screen shots (size, listing information, bedrooms) to help with underwriting my own rents.

    Ultimately I think the data points for analysis will depend on the goal and what's trying to be predicted. That is to say, the data points for an appreciation play are different from the data points for a cash flow rental in a C class neighborhood. 

    Probably worth noting that my background is economics and my W2 is as a Senior Business Analyst. I'd love to chat sometime @Dave Meyer as I'm a bit of a data junkie, although real estate is a relatively new game to me. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 60 posts · 49 votes
    4y

    Trying to stay in the path of development and improvements within my investment areas.

  • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    Watching the county permit data is a good indicator of development. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Dave Meyer housing prices. Rental market!

  • Investor · Central Virginia · Member since 2020 · 393 posts · 253 votes
    4y

    Hi @Dave Meyer, one thing I do for my area is keep track of local news because I do not live where I invest. This gives me insight into a new employer who may be coming to town and where so I can adjust my purchase parameters to account for a new variable. Also, local news will give you a heads up on any new legislation that occurs. I am originally from Massachusetts and I saw yesterday that the city or Boston will be adding a fee on all properties sold over $2M. Now, that doesn't impact my personal investments, but if that was my market it would be information I would like to have. Great post! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 936 votes
    4y

    I invest in 3BR SFRs in a couple of zip codes. I focus specifically on those areas for listings, sales and rentals.

    A data service that would provide some search criteria like {zip code, town, area}, # bedrooms, age and maybe a few other ordinary screening criteria which then produced a trended report of active comps for sale and rent, as well as sold properties would be very nice. Adding onto that to show a range would be ideal. For example, there might be 20 comps in a range, but seeing they cluster around a much smaller price range with a couple of outliers would help quickly understand the data.

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    I try to conduct market analysis (migration patterns, ratio of renters, large employers) alongside housing analysis (common home types, typical challenges, etc). Still working my way forward into some solid answers about analyzing a new market.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I look at howmoneywalks.com to see who is coming in and out of an area.  For example, in Los Angeles there is a net loss of income going elsewhere.  But then I look at where people are moving from and see that they are generally more expensive areas than LA County.  I do the same review when I look at other counties across the country.  I want to know what kind of people are moving there.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Dave Meyer tiling and handyman bro videos on Instagram/YouTube

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.