Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Mobile Home Park Investing

User Stats

Votes
Reid Hanley
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
Waste Management vs Republic Services

Reid Hanley
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pensacola, FL
Posted Jul 21 2018, 08:50

I'm researching costs for providing a trash dumpster to a Mobile Home Park I have under contract.  The current owner is using WM and their current monthly contract rate is $525.  Over $6K per year for trash pick up seems exorbitant to me.  Republic Services website has the same size dumpster priced at $165 per month.  Is there a big difference in service quality between these two providers?  Just can't get my head around why WM is so expensive. 

Any insights from you MHP owners that have used either or both providers?

Thanks BP!

User Stats

Votes
Derek Robinson
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Jul 22 2018, 04:38
@Reid Hanley , I have parks in different markets and use both these companies (it so happens that I don't have a choice in the markets I'm in, one won't offer trash service where another one will). Anyway, I have had no issue with Republic. The bill is automatically withdrawn monthly and trash is picked up weekly with no interruptions. Ive had quite a few issues with Waste Industries. When I first purchased one park, I called to have service put in my name. It took three weeks and several angry phone calls before they picked up the trash. I was still getting charged and they would keep making promises, but week after week, no trash service. I had another park and the driver decided he didn't want to drive down the gravel road into the park anymore, but I was never alerted of this. so after three weeks of no trash pick-up, tenants started to complain. it took several calls again and multiple people before someone could give me any answers. It all came down to poor communication within their company. I also had trouble with being over charged a few times.

User Stats

Votes
Bill F.
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jul 22 2018, 05:48

@Reid Hanley check out this podcast as a third option. 

Kevin and Charles interview a hauling broker of sorts.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jul 22 2018, 06:45
Replublic for residential services did not pick up for 4 weeks at one of my rentals. The main office,was nice about it but despite multiple calls they never did pick up. It really depends on the local hauler. We use RPE for dumpster service.

User Stats

Votes
Derek Robinson
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Jul 22 2018, 17:21
@Bill F. , have you tried to use this guy to negotiate waste removal? I tried calling in January. It seemed kind of disorganized and no one would ever call me back. It seemed like maybe this was just a side project that wasn't as successful as he thought it would be?