Investing in Mobile Homes? Yes, You Can!!!

Investing in Mobile Homes? Yes, You Can!!!

Member since 2009 · 12 posts · 6 votes

Hello Everyone! First time poster here at BP, although I have read through the forum a lot trying to determine my path from employee to business owner!

I want to share my story for all of those people who ask...can you really make money buying and selling mobile homes ("Lonnie Deals")? The answer is yes....no question....as they have been some of my first creative deals. Here is what I did:

1. Bought Deals on Wheels and Making Money with Mobile Homes from www.lonniescruggs.net. (roughly $60 or so).
2. Looked on craigslist and found about 3-4 homes that were listed for $6,000 and under.
3. Sent emails to those listings saying that I was an investor who buys old trailers and refixes and resells and asked the following questions.
a. what year is the trailer (I really dont care, but just want them to identify to me that it is old and also notice I said trailer and not mobile home)
b. what is lot rent
c. where is it located(park)
d. what repairs need to be done
e. does trailer have to be moved
f. why are you selling it.

then something about I am buying one at end of the week for cash...blah blah blah

Well, I received a few responses and one of them I followed up and a month later called them again. It was listed at 4,000...over the phone she said shed take 2000. I said Ill come look at it.

Sitting outside the trailer in the middle of winter at night I kept having thoughts of what am I doing here....i dont want this place, etc.....but I keep thinking about the whys (about my family, how I could benefit them and spend more time with them).

I looked through the place, not really knowing what I was looking for but identifying the problems (mini squirrel dog technique...thanks Lonnie). She said she would take 1200 for it...notice I never mentioned price first. I did bring a contract with me and signed it up for 1200, with 100 deposit

She wanted to live there for a month until move....so at end of month I said im ready to take it and pay the remaining money and asked her about cleaning...she said has not cleaned but will knock off 300 dollars for cleaning....so my out of pocket was $900 total.

It took me 2 months (lot rent 265 x 2) plus $150 utility bills and about 15 showings to sell it (dead of winter Dec, Jan). I finally sold it for $7300, $750 down..balance financed at 10% for 32 months or $225.00 month payment. I also got the girls parents to cosign all docs and they are on the title and I am just listed as security interest holder. They have paid on time every month for 5 months.

Ive got to tell you....it really is pretty cool to receive $225 check every month for putting this deal together with no additional work now.

In conclusion....it can be done...it does work (if you BUY right)...and will work (if you take action and work)........the question you need to ask yourself....and remind yourself.....is
WHY AM I DOING THIS? That will help you get over your fears.

Thanks and I hope someone got something out of this post that will help them towards their goal.

John

5Reply
32 views

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y

    Well with all the talk about mobile home investing lately its peaked my interested.

    I do have a question can you do this out of state or at least in the same state but different city?

  • Member since 2009 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    17y

    I am certain that you could do this out of state or out of area. The obstacles that you have are like any other virtual real estate technique, namely, figuring out how to buy and sell without actually meeting the seller or showing the trailer to buyers.

    You could use someone locally to check the condition of the property and make offers and also show the property for you. Cut them a piece of the deal too. I think a good person to start with would be the manager of the park or someone they know. It would definitely be a trial by fire situation that would involve a lot of trust on your part.

    John

  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 495 votes
    17y

    Congratulations John these deals can become addicting! Do 1 deal and get paid for years-what can be better? Mr_Investor yes you can buy and sell mobile homes in other cities or partner w/other in different states if the profit potential is better elsewhere.

  • Member since 2009 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    17y

    Marc,

    Do you do alot of these mobile home "lonnie deals"? I think they definitely make money, but I am more concerned with long term cash flow. I am thinking that the little bit of time that I do have should be spent on deals that will bring me many years of cash flow and bigger payoffs down the road rather than a couple hundred bucks a month for 3 years.

    Whats your take on this?

  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 495 votes
    17y

    If you are looking for larger payments pr. month and bigger pay offs down the road just take this same concept and apply it to regular homes or mobile homes with land instead of mobiles in parks. I am still doing "Lonnie Deals" but am focusing more on land/homes and regular SFR's since the prices have gotten as low as what I was paying for mobiles in parks 5 years ago.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    17y

    Marc, what are you paying for land/home deals?

    I've been paying $20-55K and putting in another $5-9K for repairs/improvements. Typically late model homes on 1-4 acres.

  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 495 votes
    17y

    I am seeing some in my area from $12,000 to $30,000, $5 to 7K rehab, $30-$60k retail w/ seller financing.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    17y

    Congrats, I do care, I stop at 20 years of Age Lonnie does as well. At least that is what he says in his book. I am glad it is working out for you. Good job.

    How many miles away is this home from you if I might ask?

  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 495 votes
    17y

    We are talking about Land/Home (lot is included in sale) Deals here Mike which are a little differnt than Lonnie Deals where the homes are located in manufactured home communities where the lot is leased.
    "How many miles away is this home from you if I might ask?" I was just talking in genearal about what I can pick up land/home deals for in my area. I have been able to find a few of these less than 10 miles from my location that are going well. I usually won't mess with a home older than early 90's regardless of weather or not it is in a manufactured home community or on its own land unless it is a slam dunk.

  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 495 votes
    17y

    Sorry I know this thread started out talking about Lonnie Deals but, we somehow got to talking about land/homes!

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y

    What's better mobile homes or mobile home parks as far as investments and cash flow is concerned?

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    17y

    Like everything It qll depends on how well you buy.

    I would not suggest buying a Park untill you know the mobile Home aspect of it.

    Originally posted by Mr_Investor:
    What's better mobile homes or mobile home parks as far as investments and cash flow is concerned?


  • Real Estate Investor · Woolwine, VA · Member since 2011 · 92 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    john, thanks for posting that story of acquiring that mobile home. i know your post is a bit dated, but i just came across it.
    curious whether you have looked at or purchased mobile home parks? when i first started thinking about a single mobile home purchase, at some point it dawned on me "why not think bigger"?, and so i am now focusing on buying a mobile home park. one of challenges i'm trying to answer is how to get funded. any thoughts by anyone would be much appreciated.

    sage

  • Real Estate Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2010 · 63 posts · 40 votes
    15y

    Keith..are you new to the mobile home biz? I would recommend buying a singlewide mobile to get your feet wet before ever considering purchasing a mobile home park. Parks can empty out your wallet very, very fast. Assuming the Park has rental units, they generally require quite a few repairs and keep-up. Can get costly, especially when a tenant moves out, repairs will be necessary to become rent ready again.

    You would need a commercial loan for a mobile home park. Generally these types of loans are easier to acquire "if" the Park has a monthly profit after all expenses generating at time of purchase. There are so many things to consider when purchasing such a large investment. Would recommend you gather all the info you can about mobile home parks in order to know exactly which Park would be the best investment for you. There
    is alot of free information online. One being ...mobile home park store dot com..(not affiliated with it) Just a really good source for info on mobile home parks and they also have listings of parks for sale in every state. Best of Luck

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    15y

    John nice job.

    Deals are everywhere an associate bought one for 4K put 1K into it had it sold in 24 hrs. for 10K Another associate just got a 49 unit Park it has expansion prep to 116 units. 7K cashflow per month 3x more when expansion completed.

  • Real Estate Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 59 posts · 23 votes
    15y

    Congrats John, I was just thinking I was going to put a little time in on the weekends to include this in my business.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    Hi Jon,
    I know you posted this a couple years ago and I wanted to say thanks for the inspiration! Because of your post, I decided to give it a try and take action. I found one listed on Craigslist for $1000. It said it needed help. I emailed the ad and found out there were 3. I decided to go take a look. They were bad. I called the next day and she was surprised to hear from me. I told her I will take 2 from her at $1300. She said she will think about it since she was hoping for $3000 on all. I told her if she wants out to give me a call. 3 hours later she asked if I can take all 3 for $1800 and she will pay 2 months on each lot. Agreed! I also had put out a test ad to see if I can get buyers. I have 3 looking to see them Monday! Cross my fingers I get to sell them next week!

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2011 · 65 posts · 13 votes
    14y

    Hello Jessica... I am just starting in MH investing too, would like to here how this deal turns out. Keep us posted!...:)

  • Real Estate Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2008 · 407 posts · 90 votes
    14y

    No I Won't

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    Update on the 3 MH. One will be going under contract for $3000 tomorrow (a 3/2 and the worst of all 3). The 3/1 that I have, a couple wants to negotiate down to $2500. I told them I need to work numbers and will get back to them on it. Which leaves me with the 2/1 that is half way done in rehab when I took it.

  • Lander, WY · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    There are excellent opportunities for cash flow realized from rental income utilizing factory built housing if you can wrap your mind around locating that type of housing in areas where there is demand and also take advantage of special financing such as lease/purchase that offer better tax advantages on newly constructed housing units vs. older units in need of rehab. There are also passive investment opportunities for people who simply want to see a guaranteed return on investment without ever laying a finger on a mobile home.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Jim, can you give an example with numbers of the kind of deal you are describing?

  • Lander, WY · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    Jon, if you are at the Summit I would be happy to sit down and visit with you this afternoon.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jim Jerrett:
    Jon, if you are at the Summit I would be happy to sit down and visit with you this afternoon.

    Great. My email and phone number are in my signature.

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 41 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    John N. - Can you share the contract you took with you? I'll be looking at a few this week and want to have something ready if we can get a decent price I can pay for on the spot. I was looking through the real estate forms on this site, and I didn't see anything that was pointing at MHs specifically. Or if anyone else can help me out, I know this original post is pretty old.
    Thanks,
    John

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.