BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
Most investors need supplies of some sort. (I shop at Home Depot because I can literally see it from my front yard.)
But unfortunately, Home Depot doesn't carry everything.
Where do you shop?
What dumpster company are you using? Do you fly or rent cars to go view out of state properties? Do you rent moving trucks - or provide your tenants/clients with moving trucks for a day?
Aside from software, what companies/products do you use on a regular basis to help you with your investing?
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
If your city has a Habitat For Humanity Restore, go there! It's so awesome! A friend recommended them to me.
I bought a few doors for $11.95 (instead of buying the same-sized door for $80 with frame at Lowe's - plus this vintage door isn't going to break if some angry tenant punches it).
I also buy vintage glass light shades there - they look freaking amazing in a rental - often better than the newer ones available at Lowe's.
Of course, they also sell things I would never buy (used toilets, for example), but they are definitely worth checking out! And if you want vintage light fixtures, definitely check them out. They have some amazing ones!
Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes
8y
Mainly use Lowes as I save 5% on all purchases with their card. I wish HD had the same as they are more convenient locations. I have also ordered flooring online through builders direct.
Investor · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 23 votes
8y
I use Menards, Home Depot and Lowe’s for a lot of last minute little things but my boyfriend works for 84 Lumber as a sales rep. The quality of there material is way above your standard stores. Plus if you go in there and ask someone a question everyone there is knowledgeable, if you do business frequently they have sales reps and you could have 1 guy you call for things and there prices are very comparable to the big box stores. They sell everything doors, windows, lumber, hardware, tools etc. and they can do custom orders for anything you want. They are a national company so if anyone has one in your area definitely go talk to them and give them a shot!
Professional · Brevard, NC · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 1 vote
8y
Find a local builders supply. Set up a contractors account. Take your time and pick the right sales person ,find one that you get along with. This goes a long way these guys and gals are knowledgeable in what they sale. The quality of materials is much better than what most big box stores have.
Flipper/Rehabber · Wichita, KS · Member since 2017 · 152 posts · 119 votes
8y
For rehabs I mostly use Lowes and buy the 20% off coupons off eBay. I’ve literally bought these standing in the checkout line. I’ve saved $600 so far on my current flip using these.