Doing Handyman type work on the side/Finding Work

Doing Handyman type work on the side/Finding Work

Hartford, WI · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 50 votes

Hello BP Community!

I've took a peruse through the search function and didn't really find anything applicable to what I'm trying to figure out.  I did determine there seems to be a need for Handymen however.

I have a full time job now, but I really enjoy working on smaller home improvement projects.  Last year I put myself out to my community offering handyman services and was very upfront about what type of work I was capable of.  I received some very positive responses from this.  When talking with people they would ask about my experience and I would inform them about doing stuff for myself and I'm looking for side jobs.  We would start discussing the job and right at the very end people would ask if I had a business license and insurance and I would say that I do not and people would then say they would think about it and get back and no one ever would.  

I understand the comfort of having someone performing work having insurance.  I've contacted my insurance provider and have done the math, unfortunately with only wanting to do the small jobs on weekends and after work (and on my schedule) the numbers just don't make sense.  

Does anyone have recommendations on how to do handyman work on the side without being limited by the insurance issue?

Is there a way to find work where people will be fine with not having insurance?

0Reply
28 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I think part of it would depend on the particular job. People might not feel comfortable with you doing plumbing or electric work but I don't see why they wouldn't be cool with you doing basic things like painting/drywall repairs or mowing lawns. 

    You could always advertise the more basic things (painting/mowing lawns) and after doing good work you could tell the customer you also do X-Y-Z. 

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
    6y

    It's a bad idea to be a handyman without a business or any general liability insurance. When something goes bad at a customers house you will be fully liable and open to getting sued for starters. 

    My advice would be to get the insurance, form a company and get the proper licensing from your local jurisdiction. Most areas require some sort of license to do home improvement and you almost always need that license if you plan on advertising and performing services legally in your area. Know your local laws for the business you want to start. 

    Ex in my state anyone can get a home improvement contractors license easily, but HIC license cannot build new houses. They also aren't legally allowed to do any plumbing, electric, hvac etc. The fines for just advertising those services are up to 10,000 the first offense. 

    as for finding new customers, word of mouth Is by far the best way to gain new accounts thats also cost effective. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.