Renovating one apartment at a time, utilities challenge

Renovating one apartment at a time, utilities challenge

Medford, MA · Member since 2012 · 163 posts · 36 votes

For financial and available time reasons, I might need to renovate one apartment at time, in a building where the apartments are stacked on top of each other. These would be gut renovations. How feasible is this with the utilities, esp the plumbing?

Plumbing I imagine 3 units on top of each other share one plumbing stack, so it seems like it would be difficult to replace that, but maybe one section at a time can be replaced? Also would have to run water supply lines and electrical, but maybe I can find a chase for those. Ductwork also likely a challenge.

Is this just unrealistic? People do it all the time, right, but are they not running new utilities?

0Reply
7 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Broomfield, CO · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 5 votes
    14y

    I'm not a contractor, but I did work for one for one for a few years during college. We did this sort of thing all the time. Assuming that you'll have a separate meter for each apartment it should be very feasible. That way you'll only have to turn off the plumbing and electrical for the unit you're working on at the time. I'm not sure what your HVAC situation is, and that's not really in my realm of knowledge. However, if you have separate units for each apartment it also wouldn't be a problem. Even with a centralized system I'd imagine you could block off the specific duct work for a renovation.

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2012 · 113 posts · 12 votes
    14y

    obviously, just make sure you start at top and work your way down

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2012 · 113 posts · 12 votes
    14y

    you will have to check your codes on sharing the plumbing especially if plans condo conversion ever.

  • Medford, MA · Member since 2012 · 163 posts · 36 votes
    14y

    So at each step of the way, am I connecting new with old temporarily unless I find a way to fish things all the way down say if it is balloon construction? It very well may be balloon construction, since it is over 100 years old.

    Start at the top so the liquids don't pour out because of gravity, right? Are there other reasons?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Mt. Pleasant, SC · Member since 2010 · 257 posts · 130 votes
    14y

    Yes, also to disturb tenants less by working above them.

    Maybe you could gut the whole building first, so that your plumber and HVAC guys could get those systems done first, then do the finish work one unit at a time. If your drains tie together, you don't want to have to shut down water to all your tenants just to renovate the last unit. At a minimum, add enough shutoff valves so you can isolate the units to work on them.

  • Medford, MA · Member since 2012 · 163 posts · 36 votes
    14y

    Sorry why would tenants be disturbed less by the unit above them being worked on that below? I'd think sound would transfer downwards easier than upwards? Is there another factor?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.