How do you find a trusted House Cleaner, Handyman, etc

How do you find a trusted House Cleaner, Handyman, etc

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 5 votes

Hi, I am a newbie here. Just found your site and have been reading some posts. I am interested in getting into the short term vacation rental market. I have many questions, but one of my main one is how do you find your team of people who can help you manage your property? How do you go about finding a trusted house cleaner, reliable handyman, plumber, a someone who can go check up on the property or run some errands for me.

I plan to purchase a place out of state somewhere since my area is very unaffordable. If I purchase in a city or state where I don't know anyone, how do you go about finding a house cleaner?

Thank you in advance! I look forward to learning from all of you!

0Reply
14 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Monroe, WI · Member since 2015 · 691 posts · 610 votes
    9y

    Run ads on Craigslist and screen people. Ask others in the area who they'd recommend then do some due diligence on the people.

  • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
    9y

    Just start asking actively.

    Let everybody know, and ask referrals.

    Use craigslist, facebook... all the social media platforms to find one

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Wow. I never liked craigslist, that's a list for desperate people looking for desperate jobs. It's free, no incentive in posting, etc. The answer is easy, property management company. My house cleaner is from a nearby hotel, she doesn't have tools and consumables, but I do. If they are good for a corporate W2 custodian job, they're good enough for me, at least someone already vetted and interviewed them for me. Same goes for maintenance people.
  • Contractor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    I love the way people are so judgmental, stereotyping on BP.  That's a very general statement to assign to people that use craigslist.  Yes, that probably is a lot of people on craigslist, but it's not everybody.    Unfortunately, you can find the same in the paid sites because some of the scammers and con-artists make enough stealing money from others and conning people to be able to afford posting on the paid sites  to find more victims.

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Joy D Pulliam That's why I almost never hire from any paid or unpaid sites. I say almost because I did make that mistake (actually hired, not counting dozens i didn't) 3 times. And will not hire anyone from them in the near future. There are a lot more sources that can provide more reliable people. All marketing websites are the same to me be it craigslist or home advisor or other. Stereotype or not, I speak per my experience.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.