Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Contractors

User Stats

Votes
Tyler E.
  • Forsyth, MO
Votes |
Wichita Shipping Container Plans

Tyler E.
  • Forsyth, MO
Posted Mar 9 2016, 07:44
Does anyone in Wichita, KS know anything about building a shipping container tiny house? Maybe someone who has knowledge or experience in something like that. I want it to be stripped down and simple as possible. Just need some guidance and ideas to get the most of the space but keep it simple.

User Stats

Votes
Dennis Staiger
  • Kaufman, TX
Votes |
  • Kaufman, TX
Replied Mar 9 2016, 07:59

Good morning Tyler ! Try googling "shipping container floor plans " . I was looking for ideas also . Found some at " Shipping container cabin floor plans " .

User Stats

Votes
Tyler E.
  • Forsyth, MO
Votes |
  • Forsyth, MO
Replied Mar 10 2016, 08:20

Thanks for the response. I've been searching in that manner but I'm so overwhelmed at all the options. I'm now trying to decide if a pre-built building or a shipping container is a more viable way to go.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ian McCaul
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Mar 14 2016, 08:26

As someone who is currently finishing his Tiny House I did some research into shipping containers. Now shipping container house have their uses, but it depends largely on where you live. In Kansas, like Colorado, you will need to insulate it. So at that point a shipping container is only getting you out of one part of building your house, the sheathing. I guess it depends on what you are trying to do with it. The amount of work to prep a container would probably be the same as doing a traditional stick frame, but it will be far more restrictive with what you can do with it.

User Stats

Votes
Tyler E.
  • Forsyth, MO
Votes |
  • Forsyth, MO
Replied Mar 14 2016, 10:33

Awesome. That is some of the best advice I've had. Since I posted this I actually changed my mind to a stick built house for reasons pretty much what you stated. I'd love to hear about your house and what you did to it. Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Nate Wightman
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 14 2016, 17:35

do some searching on straw bale houses... might find them fun.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Goodloe
  • Parker, CO
Votes |
  • Parker, CO
Replied Mar 14 2016, 21:23

I would start with an investigation  how the local laws are written, city county, unincorporated County etc. Where ever you intend on putting the house.  In most cases if it stays on wheels it is not a permanent structure, shipping containers, if inhabited may be considered permanent. If they are dropped.  However if they remain on a trailer... But if your intent is to move the unit often a shipping container is probably ideal, even the integrity of a trailer built stick house is compromised after a couple of moves. If you would be building a permanent tiny house, I would go with a stick build. For the same reason Ian states.  But consider the fact that (dependent on design) you also get foundation and a sub floor for the most part with a container if you are going for a ground build.  I would also consider storms.  

User Stats

Votes
Angel Gutierrez
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Mar 14 2016, 21:45

You can build with shipping containers ANYWHERE as long as you have an engineer to sign off on your plans(not hard to do).

The biggest issue with using them as living spaces are the low ceilings. Human beings generally don't like them.

A. G.

House O' Foam  Dallas, Tx