How long does it take to build a house?

How long does it take to build a house?

Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes

So this will go under the heading of "nosy neighbor."

I bought my house in 2003. At the time there was a house directly across the street that appeared to be vacant. No one has lived in that house in all these years, but someone has been tending it.

Several years after buying my house, my curiosity got to me and I checked the other house on the taxpayer database. I discovered it was owned by the City of Houston Housing Department.

About three years ago a sign for a contractor showed up in the yard. Since my neighborhood is a hotbed for builders tearing down the 50's ranches and building McMansions, I assumed that would happen to the house across the street. But that was not the case.

There has been months of no activity at all interspersed with some activity. They finally seemed to get busy about a year ago. Instead of tearing down the house as I expected, they stripped it down to its frame, and then started to rebuild the house in its original configuration.

So my question is what the hell is going on here? How can they spend three years rebuilding a house and still not be done? My brother-in-law owns a construction company, and I asked him how long it takes to build a house. He said three to six months.

What is going on here? How can a contractor spend 3 years+ to rebuild a house?

0Reply
22 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Good question...we have at least 4-5 of the same within a 4 miles of us.

    A couple are new builds on severed rural lots but several are HUGE houses from torn down post war ranches/capes. The build has been at least 3 years for the majority.

    The holding costs & winterization etc up here must take a serious toll on the condition of the property. One large new build had a pump truck there for a week during & after a week of storms so I can imagine the basement damage from that. A Sump pump with a small generator would be the first thing you would install here.

    I have a business associate that is building a 4500 sq ft home on land we sold him. It has taken him 4 years & he is still not living in it as the septic is not installed & I know the winter  propane costs run $600/month.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.