Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Contractors
Account Closed
  • South Bend, IN
Votes |
What's with Contractors that will not answer their phone or return calls?

Account Closed
  • South Bend, IN
Posted Sep 11 2014, 06:12

So I am looking for a new general contractor and/or subs to make sure I have a back-up and a back-up to the back-up if need be for my projects that need rehab.

I vet the ones that seem like a good fit from as many resources as I can find before I give them a call. I even look up the ones that have a Corp or LLC at the Secretary of State to see if they are legit, in good standing and how long they have been in existence (amazing that some are not in good standing but still doing business as usual but that is neither here no there).

Next, I give them a call. Some are small operations, others are moderately big. Some have been in business for decades with second generation owners, some are newer with only a few years in the business.

Without fail, the vast majority of my calls (70% plus) go straight to a voice message/voice mail system. I go ahead and leave a clear detailed message with my phone number, twice, in most cases and request a call back. I explain in my message that I have current projects and that I am looking for somebody to build a long term relationship with as a contractor for my future acquisitions.

Without fail, NONE of the ones that I leave messages for return the call......for over two weeks.

From the beginning of my search, I started a spreadsheet and a log to track who I called, when I called and what the result was.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I called the first batch again (the 70% non responders that did not return my first call) over two weeks later with a new project that I need bids on. This time, only 40% of actually picked up their phone on my second try.....over two weeks later. Again the vast majority of my calls go straight to a voice message/voice mail system where I leave another detailed message with my phone number and request a call back. Again, without fail, NONE of the ones that I leave messages for return the call......for over 6 days and counting.

I also called some new ones the same day I called back the first batch and I am now tracking those but.......the trend is the same for the new ones as well.

Of course, this exercise helps me eliminate those that I would never work with. I will not keep trying to contact them. 

It made me wonder though, is this kind of response/ non response typical with Contractors (small, medium or large operations) in other areas or am I alone in my experience?

User Stats

Votes
Terri Lewis
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Elkhart, IN
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Elkhart, IN
Replied Sep 16 2014, 20:25

I like that payment brake down @Matthew Paul makes good sense. We have always went 50/50 or the thirds depended on size and account.  Have had to wait quite a few times on last draw. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 23 2018, 13:41

The last thing anyone wants to hear is about building long-term relationships with a contractor.  We all know this to mean you want a lot of me and plan on paying me very little to nothing for free work or consultation.  The market is full of people who use this as a ploy to get us to jump and then it never happens.  I have yet to have anyone build a long-term relationship for me and use my time and time again.  it usually always goes to the lowest bid and loyalty left the scene twenty years ago.  Sorry. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Branden Sewell
  • Contractor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Aug 26 2018, 06:58
@Anthony M. I would personally say, I am a contractor and what sets us apart is our ability to always answer our phones and respond. Most contractors do all the work so they don’t answer because they have more work than they can handle by themselves. We don’t do the work ourselves. We leverage our crews, manage and oversee them, so we can focus on providing customer service. Look for a contractor who is a business minded person. Contractors who aren’t business minded are just loaded down with too much work. Hope that helps!