Career as a Title Researcher?

Career as a Title Researcher?

Specialist · Littleton, CO · Member since 2019 · 57 posts · 32 votes

Hello BP Members! Is there anyone out there work as a title researcher?  I am thinking about a career change and a way to gain skills in my own personal investments.  I have worked as a real estate agent, but would like to discuss the general skills and qualifications needed to work in the title industry.  If you are in the field or have insights, could I trouble you to answer a few questions listed below?  Thank you in advance!

1. Since the title industry is part of insurance, do you need to hold a title license? Any resources for Colorado would be a plus.

2. What are some "headaches" working in this position?

3. Is this a position with high turn over?

4. Where in the hierarchy of the organization is the researcher positioned?

5. What is your association with this position/ industry?

Thank you all for your time! I am also reaching out to local title company HR departments, but know that I can gain different insight through this community!  

0Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Manitowoc, WI · Member since 2016 · 178 posts · 186 votes
    5y

    I used to manage a title company within a law firm and did everything from searching to closings.

    In WI, you don't need a license to be a searcher, but there are many other functions of working in a title company which would require a license. 

    I used to go to the courthouse and would have to pull the physical books to do searching, now all of these records are online almost everywhere so it's becoming simpler but still tedious work. Can't comment on turnover, but again it's tedious work with tight deadlines and requires extreme attention to detail. Each document needs to be read in its entirety as they used to do some weird things back in the 80s and earlier, including easements and other encumbrances on documents in ways that would not fly today.

  • Specialist · Littleton, CO · Member since 2019 · 57 posts · 32 votes
    5y

    @Brad L. Thank you for the feedback and confirmation about tight deadlines and extreme attention to detail. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.