Can you not utilize your salespersons license if you wanted?

Can you not utilize your salespersons license if you wanted?

Rental Property Investor · Long Beach, NY · Member since 2014 · 36 posts · 7 votes

If I currently had a real estate salespersons license and was looking for a primary residence am I legally allowed to present a personal offer to the seller? So I don't need to go through my broker and I understand I would not collect a commission and I would be buying from a FSBO so instead of paying real estate commissions I could potentially add to my offer. Is this legally allowed? It sounds fishy like I am going behind my brokers back but can I pick and choose which deals I want to use my license for and what deals I want to bypass my license and just present a personal offer as if I wasn't an agent and didn't hire one?

Thanks,

0Reply
13 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    No you can not do that. When you become licensed you subject yourself to your brokers supervision and the oversite of your states licensing board/department. All of your real estate activities, whether paid or not, fall under that supervision.

  • Rental Property Investor · Long Beach, NY · Member since 2014 · 36 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Thank you for your response, if I currently have a real estate salespersons license under a brokerage can I use another agent to buy my property and do everything through them?

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    @Dennis Kelly Agents can hire other agents, however that does not preclude you from your brokers/boards oversite of your real estate activity.

  • Rental Property Investor · Long Beach, NY · Member since 2014 · 36 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Gotch ya, so if I hire an agent nothing will go through my current brokers office correct? Everything will go through whoever I hire just as if I didn’t have a license and hired an agent.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    It depends on the independent contractor agreement you signed with your brokerage.....here, under the broker I was with, I could buy any off market deals personally with no brokerage involvement/oversight.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    @Wayne Brooks That is interesting because @John Thedford said something similar in another thread. I wonder if that is a Florida thing

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Russell Brazil Well, there is certainly no FL state law prohibiting it.  Different brokerages, primarily the large national ones, apparently impose tighter restrictions on their agents.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.