Starting to build my real estate team in Cleveland...

Starting to build my real estate team in Cleveland...

Florida · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 6 votes

Hey, I am living in Dubai and I am looking to build out a real estate team in Cleveland. I am trying to get a reliable realtor and lawyer to set myself up. I have contacted a huge amount already and have gotten very little response. If anyone has any suggestions for a reliable, promt realtor in the Cleveland area, I would really appreciate your suggestions.

2Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 769 votes
7y

If you're not being taken seriously it's because there are a million of out of state investors "looking" at Cleveland and they mostly share some common themes: 

-they're looking to invest in Cleveland, but also 5,10, or 20+ other markets.

-they want realtors, pm's, contractors to all stop their workday to give an hour of advice to a stranger who has done little to no research of their own.

-they're "ready to buy," but can't show an approval letter or proof of funds because the cash will just show up when the right deal comes along. 

-they want agents to spend their time looking for properties and sending off-market deals, just so they can turn around and buy direct from wholesalers, therefore wasting everyone's time. 

-they have plenty of cash to spend because Cleveland is so "cheap," but they won't buy flights to come see it for a weekend. 

If any of these describe you, you may want to change your approach.

Hope this helps!

See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · HI · Member since 2017 · 328 posts · 124 votes
    7y

    @Eoin Bolger Cleveland is a great market, although having a great time on the ground is very important, as you know.  Have you looked at turnkey companies who offer all-in-one service?  Turnkey is a possible pathway for you since you our out of country.  DM me and I can recommend an attorney.  Best of luck.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 173 posts · 121 votes
    7y

    Cuyahoga Title - ask for Jim.

    I’ve done 8 or so deals with them in the past year. Personalized service when you need it and he has a team around him to get processing down.

    I work him him for thoughts, title work. As far as contracts he uses “standard” forms that the local agency association of CLE recommends.

    I trust him and he has a lot of real estate experience and knowledge.

    Hop that helps! 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 133 posts · 69 votes
    7y

    @Eoin Bolger feel free to reach out to me. I think I can help you in the Cleveland market.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Eoin Bolger:

    Hey, I am living in Dubai and I am looking to build out a real estate team in Cleveland. I am trying to get a reliable realtor and lawyer to set myself up. I have contacted a huge amount already and have gotten very little response. If anyone has any suggestions for a reliable, promt realtor in the Cleveland area, I would really appreciate your suggestions.

     Welcome to the site Eoin. 1st thing you want to check out when looking at Cleveland is The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods. Good luck on your investing my man.

  • Florida · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Thank you @James Wise I have seen your article very informative! Is there someone I should email within your organisation?

  • Florida · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Michael Ohara cheers for the advice! That would be great, I have sent you a PM.

  • Florida · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Victor Vella:

    Cuyahoga Title - ask for Jim.

    I’ve done 8 or so deals with them in the past year. Personalized service when you need it and he has a team around him to get processing down.

    I work him him for thoughts, title work. As far as contracts he uses “standard” forms that the local agency association of CLE recommends.

    I trust him and he has a lot of real estate experience and knowledge.

    Hop that helps! 

     Thats a great help Victor! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Eoin Bolger:

    Thank you @James Wise I have seen your article very informative! Is there someone I should email within your organisation?

    BP forums strictly prohibit advertising so I won't engage in promoting my biz here. Strictly providing info on Cleveland to ya'll. If you wanted to discuss Holton-Wise you'd need to do so in the marketplace.

  • Florida · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Eoin Bolger:

    Thank you @James Wise I have seen your article very informative! Is there someone I should email within your organisation?

    BP forums strictly prohibit advertising so I won't engage in promoting my biz here. Strictly providing info on Cleveland to ya'll. If you wanted to discuss Holton-Wise you'd need to do so in the marketplace.

     Ok understood. 

  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Eoin Bolger

    Feel free to DM me............Two years ago I started buying in Cleveland from out of state. Here's what you need to realize.....When they see you are calling from out of the country they may think you are either a scam or not serious....and they may not feel like making a long distance phone call to verify your legitimacy. 

    Fortunately there are lots of resources here on BP. 

    When you reach out to agents etc. here on BP let them know immediately you are pre-approved with a lender.  

    Be clear in what you want to do...(I.E. I want to focus on small multifamily in C or B areas with a price range of 80K to 150K and want cashflowing properties with 2% rule). 

    After trial and error with two different PMs in Cleveland I have finally struck gold with my third PM there. I also have been able to find an investor friendly lender as well as an investor friendly Realtor that is used to dealing with out of State and out of the country investors. Again...the first step will be to get pre-approved with a lender....if you don't then you will not be taken seriously.

  • Florida · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Brian Garlington:

    @Eoin Bolger

    Feel free to DM me............Two years ago I started buying in Cleveland from out of state. Here's what you need to realize.....When they see you are calling from out of the country they may think you are either a scam or not serious....and they may not feel like making a long distance phone call to verify your legitimacy. 

    Fortunately there are lots of resources here on BP. 

    When you reach out to agents etc. here on BP let them know immediately you are pre-approved with a lender.  

    Be clear in what you want to do...(I.E. I want to focus on small multifamily in C or B areas with a price range of 80K to 150K and want cashflowing properties with 2% rule). 

    After trial and error with two different PMs in Cleveland I have finally struck gold with my third PM there. I also have been able to find an investor friendly lender as well as an investor friendly Realtor that is used to dealing with out of State and out of the country investors. Again...the first step will be to get pre-approved with a lender....if you don't then you will not be taken seriously.

    Thanks for the advice Brian, much appreciated. We are cash buys but we have also been referred to a lender who does loans for overseas investors. We were looking at SFH as well as Multifamily units in B/C areas.

  • Real Estate Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Eoin Bolger Hi, I’m from Ohio and can help you invest in Cleveland. I know the market and get amazing deals.

  • Florida · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Ebony Barnes great I will PM you.

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Brian Garlington. Would you share your lender?

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    I moved here from California to invest in Cleveland real estate and found a really good team to work with.

  • Real Estate Broker · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @Brian Garlington

    Love to connect. I’m out of state as well but have been traveling back to Cleveland every three weeks looking at the market.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 769 votes
    7y

    If you're not being taken seriously it's because there are a million of out of state investors "looking" at Cleveland and they mostly share some common themes: 

    -they're looking to invest in Cleveland, but also 5,10, or 20+ other markets.

    -they want realtors, pm's, contractors to all stop their workday to give an hour of advice to a stranger who has done little to no research of their own.

    -they're "ready to buy," but can't show an approval letter or proof of funds because the cash will just show up when the right deal comes along. 

    -they want agents to spend their time looking for properties and sending off-market deals, just so they can turn around and buy direct from wholesalers, therefore wasting everyone's time. 

    -they have plenty of cash to spend because Cleveland is so "cheap," but they won't buy flights to come see it for a weekend. 

    If any of these describe you, you may want to change your approach.

    Hope this helps!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Evans:

    If you're not being taken seriously it's because there are a million of out of state investors "looking" at Cleveland and they mostly share some common themes: 

    -they're looking to invest in Cleveland, but also 5,10, or 20+ other markets.

    -they want realtors, pm's, contractors to all stop their workday to give an hour of advice to a stranger who has done little to no research of their own.

    -they're "ready to buy," but can't show an approval letter or proof of funds because the cash will just show up when the right deal comes along. 

    -they want agents to spend their time looking for properties and sending off-market deals, just so they can turn around and buy direct from wholesalers, therefore wasting everyone's time. 

    -they have plenty of cash to spend because Cleveland is so "cheap," but they won't buy flights to come see it for a weekend. 

    If any of these describe you, you may want to change your approach.

    Hope this helps!

     lol savage dude.......You're an agent now aren't you? You sound like one who's now seen the downside of working with BP investors.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 769 votes
    7y

    @James Wise haha well I don't mean to hurt any feelings, but you know how it is! And yeah I just got licensed, but more to help with my own investing and helping my west coast contacts by being the on the ground contact. I'm working with a couple BP folks as a realtor/partner, but really only after we've had a chance to meet. In Cleveland haha. 

  • Investor · Hinesville, GA · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Eoin Bolger.  I too am in Dubai (well, Al Ain) and have been very active in a Dubai BP group that has been established by @Morgan Nilsen.  There are several of us that invest in the Cleveland market.  Feel free to reach out and join one of our meetups.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Evans:

    @James Wise haha well I don't mean to hurt any feelings, but you know how it is! And yeah I just got licensed, but more to help with my own investing and helping my west coast contacts by being the on the ground contact. I'm working with a couple BP folks as a realtor/partner, but really only after we've had a chance to meet. In Cleveland haha. 

    Yup, not my 1st rodeo. I've made millions doing it but it is definitely a tough game. Have seen countless investor agents flame out before getting any traction. If you don't prioritize your time correctly investors will run you around rampant for no real pay.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.