An interesting situation regarding the contents of a property

An interesting situation regarding the contents of a property

Realtor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 52 posts · 32 votes

Trying to help another advisor with their listing. 

Owners were wealthy Germans who built the property in 1994, the last parent passed away recently, and the kids inherited the property. The children live in Germany and aren't interested in anything, they just want everything sold individually, or with the home.

Most of the parts of the home, including an intricate 3 story spiral staircase, were shipped or flown in. The staircase had to be installed with a crane before the roof was built. Marble from Lombardy throughout. A unique property, to say the least.

Any advice on how I might go about identifying these furniture & other pieces and/or getting them appraised?

Dressers, chairs, dining table set, coffee tables, nightstands, bedroom sets, elephant riding seat thingy, ancient looking stone sharpening wheel, large rugs, mostly European looking with a bit of Asian flair on some of the pieces.

I'm fairly confident that most of the contents left in the home should be valuable. If anything, it is evident they are all well made.

Not really sure if this is necessarily the best place to post this, I've just been reaching out to a few different resources. 

I figured someone here may have some relevant experience with this.

Thanks!

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 21 votes
7y

Do you have any auction houses in your area? Larger companies will have a facility to store and hold auctions off-site so you don't have any fear of running into issues with the HOA. Of course, their fees will be higher but you'll more than likely get more serious interest and people that actually know what they are looking for.

Also, check out Everything But The House. They're an online estate sale company that handles everything for you. Their commisions can be a little steep, but it's worth looking into. I don't know if they service your area, but they may be able to point you to someone that does. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
    7y

    I'm pretty sure that a situation like this calls for an estate sale, however, I'm a real estate investor, not a junk dealer :) 

    I believe most of the people who do that as a profession use Ebay to gauge the prices for items. 

    -Christopher

  • Realtor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 52 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Christopher Brainard Sorry, forgot to mention the HOA does not allow estate sales! Another wrench in the plans. I need to figure out what sort of professional I need to be trying to contact. Are there companies or antique shop owners who handle this sort of thing regularly?

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
    7y

    Yes, there are companies that will list things online as well as companies that will sell things locally. Just do a search for estate sale companies or sell my stuff on eBay and I'll sure you'll get some local results.

    -Christopher

  • Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    Do you have any auction houses in your area? Larger companies will have a facility to store and hold auctions off-site so you don't have any fear of running into issues with the HOA. Of course, their fees will be higher but you'll more than likely get more serious interest and people that actually know what they are looking for.

    Also, check out Everything But The House. They're an online estate sale company that handles everything for you. Their commisions can be a little steep, but it's worth looking into. I don't know if they service your area, but they may be able to point you to someone that does. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.