Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Brett Campbell
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Southern Pines, NC
Votes |
Just passed my real estate exam (North Carolina)!

Brett Campbell
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Southern Pines, NC
Posted Sep 26 2017, 05:21

Passed the Real Estate Licensing exam yesterday!! 

I would like to reflect on some of the things I feel benefitted me as an investor taking the class and getting my license. I am aware that this is often a debatable topic for many real estate investors. I personally wanted to get my license to expand my knowledge, work in the business, and gan access to the MLS.

So first off, I went through the JY Monk program here in Fayetteville . After looking at reviews online and talking to agents in the area Jy Monk was highly recommended. I am not going to get too much in depth of how I thought the course was run. Simply put, they gave you all of the material needed and supplied several different platforms to study the material. There is a ton of new material thrown at you in the first couple of weeks, which can be overwhelming for many. I believe we had over 12 people drop from our class. I also found that having my prior knowledge of real estate investing was extremely beneficial to me, but regardless you have to put the time in to study or you will not pass. 

I will say the entire experience was great. One thing that shocked me was, I didn't go in expecting to meet tons of great individuals who share the same passion as I do in real estate. During the 8 weeks I was able to market myself, my real estate ideas, and even learn from many investors in the area. I made friends and even potential future business partners that will benefit me greatly as I continue to build my real estate business. That alone was worth the money and time for me. (And yes I told many of them to join BiggerPockets)

Lastly, I would recommend if you have the time then you should get your license. I understand it does not fit into everyone business plans. I personally feel like I have a much better understanding of real estate business now and I am excited to continue my education and growth in this business. At the end of the day you really have to weigh the benefits of you getting your license. As I stated before it does not fit into everyones business plans. It is definitely something you have to dedicate time out of your week for and that sacrifice may not be worth your time.

On a side note, 

I am still looking at all my options for where to take the next step. This was one of my problems with the process. After passing my test yesterday, I didn't really know what the next step was, are instructor said once we pass we are dangerous. We are dangerous because we have the license to sell, but we have no idea what we are actually doing lol. 

I have got some ideas where I would like to take my license, but I want to make sure I find the best possible fit  for both myself and the company I end up working for. I am looking to work in either the Fayetteville or the Southern Pines market.  I have pretty good knowledge of both markets from an investors perspective. If anyone has any recommendations or tips for a new provisional broker, I would love to hear from you.  

Thank you,

Brett Campbell

Loading replies...