Having Designations (related/unrelated to Real Estate)

Having Designations (related/unrelated to Real Estate)

New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 65 posts · 6 votes

I'm starting my real estate agent journey now. I've completed the required 75 hours (online) and will be taking my course's final exam in about a month (my full-time job is about to enter very hectic territory). That said, I've been focusing on where I can differentiate myself in my market vs. others and I have 2 major things that I can point to.

The first is that I have an instagram account with about 10,000 followers. This might not seem like much, but I plan on re-purposing the account for my venture and will be trying to grow it to 30,000 followers by the time I'm ready to hit the ground running. Now the likelihood of this getting me listings by itself is probably <5%, but it certainly doesn't hurt on a listing meeting to say "I also can get your property in front of 30,000 eyeballs almost immediately," and it will add to my reputation (I think, please tell me otherwise if so). 

The 2nd, and this is what I believe to be the big one, is that I have my CFA designation. Now I know there are a a lot of CFAs in the world, but (from what I know) not many pursuing a career as a Real Estate salesperson. This will allow me to attend networking events and hopefully talk to some influencers there. If anything, in a city where folks generally think that the salespeople they deal with are 'under qualified,' it will certainly add a level of comfort off the bat. I guess my question to anyone who has a designation is--how has this impacted your business?

0Reply
23 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y

    @Todd C. - real estate is one field where most of us have a backstory and often times that history comes with certain designations or certifications. I was an attorney for 10 years and use that to back up my strength in negotiating. I was also in the art world for 5 years and I use that to reinforce helping with aesthetics and design when buyers are trying to forecast how a home may look. Whatever your background is, there is a way to use it to enhance your bio and real estate career.

    In real estate, I have three designations (ABR, SRS and e-PRO) and I use all of these to enhance my profile and visibility and to separate me from others by showing that I am willing to spend the time to get specialized (even when some of the certifications can be completed in a day online).

    In regard to Instagram, normally a following of 10,000 is built not organically unless you are a celebrity of sorts and if that is the case, the followers aren't worth anything other than likes. If you have built 10,000 followers organically then you are on track to think it will help, BUT it is not attractive to sellers to be featured on Instagram until you can show them that those 30,000 eyes are asking questions about the property and it is creating showings. Instagram for real estate is a great local brand builder and connection mechanism with other agents, but the traction to get results is much longer in time than targeted Facebook ads from your Facebook business page. I hope this helps.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.