Questions to ask a realtor for the branch you want to work for

Questions to ask a realtor for the branch you want to work for

Realtor · Vancouver, British Columbia · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 3 votes

This weekend I will be meeting with a Realtor who my mom worked with a few years ago and whom I've met and talked to a couple times. Never about real estate but she isn't just a stranger. I've arranged to meet with her with the hopes of figuring out more about her branch, how her team is ran and what a possible position with her team or another one would look like after I get my license. I have a list of some questions I want to ask her but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some sophisticated important questions I could ask her to make myself stand out as someone who knows what they're talking about and sound like I would be a good fit. I'm not a beginner educationally when it comes to real estate, I know some of the terminology and how being a realtor works. here are the questions I have so far, any modifications or additions would be extremely helpful, thank you. 

p.s. the branch is the top branch in its area, that being the lower mainland of bc where real estate is currently very hot and it's a populated city if that makes a difference.

  • what are the total start-up costs once your a realtor
  • would there be a place for me at your office working for either yourself or someone else
  • what can I expect my job to consist of doing
  • what would you say is your main source of generating leads
  • what's been most effective in keeping everything organized
  • what's the structure of your team
  • what's the split
  • does Remax offer any training opportunities
  • What are the features of some bad agents you no? Is there a lot? What makes a great agent here
  • Do you have specific areas of town you work in and that's it
0Reply
23 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Smyrna, TN 37167 · Member since 2013 · 248 posts · 147 votes
    9y

    For a newly licensed agent, don't worry as much about appearing sophisticated as finding out if they would be a good fit for you.  The interview is mutual - you aren't applying for a job, you are exploring a partnership of sorts (in a sense, but you're in business for yourself, make no mistake).  

    As a new agent, you should be interested in training.  Don't just ask what training is available, find out what training they found effective and who pays for it.  Find out if there is a desk fee and if floor time is required.  Seek out a mentor - who will do that, and would they be a good fit for you?  What will they do to help you start making money, if anything?

    So basically, approach the interview with the understanding that you will have to do the bulk of the work - because you will - and you are seeking a broker or team who will support your startup real estate business.  If you are looking for information to support that, you'll find the right questions and the right company.  Which means, finally, interview with more than one company.  

    I would, at a minimum, interview with 1 or 2 national companies, and 1 or 2 local companies.  Company cultures can vary greatly, and you just might be surprised at what you learn while interviewing with others in the area.

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 506 posts · 205 votes
    9y

    Have a whole list of questions as I interviewed with several brokerages before I chose the one that was best for me. If you email me, I will share the list. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.